Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just got back from gilders ordered chrome fog trim for High Up but looks far to big? Do you have to take the bumper or fog out to fit it? Guy there seems to think the bumper must be a different size on the white/ black editions. Seems strange that VW would go to expensive of making a bumper the same style just with slightly bigger holes for chrome trim? Has anyone with an high up added it to there's sure I've seen a pic. Help please!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone help me please can't find anything on line and will have to take it back tomorrow for a refund if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can't help, strictly, but would be interested in the final answer as this is something I am thinking doing.

I agree with you - the up! black/white is a special edition of the High up! so I can't believe the bumper is different.

Where do they look too big? How are they secured - screws, clips etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if they fit from behind - i.e. the fog lamps have to be removed from bhind the bumper and the trims inserted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look massive compared to the hole in the bumper haha there's clips behind it. I agree you must have to remove bumper to fix but I don't see how it would attach from behind when it looks too big to clip on the front if you get me? Dealer said it could be a couple of hours work removing bumper and they charge £93 an hour!! Only paid £20 for the trims haha gutted because it would just finish off the front. I caught a glimpse of the ETKA application and the diagrams of the the front bumper shows all the bits removed and arrows left to right on order of how try attach I presume and the trims were last to attach. Also the chrome trims can be ordered for ups with front fogs so that's High up and white/black. They gotta fit but not sure how. Anyone with a black/white could they please measure width/hight of the hole for fogs ? Would be much appriciated. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well they Deffo don't fit a High up there's no way there too big. So VW must have made a bumper with bigger fogs for the white/ black editions. Can't believe they'd go to that expense when the rest of the bumper is exactly the same?? but there you go. So I'll just have to remain envious of you up white/ black owners.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That's really bad news! I was kinda hoping to do the same as you and retro fitting them at some point! Obviously I'll just need to save my money on this mod and not bother. Totally gutted for you

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Are you sure you got up trims, perhaps your dealer got you polo or golf trims?

·
Registered
727 Posts
From looking at Volkswagen's site the chrome fog light trim doesn't seem to be an option for the High up! nor do I see them available in the accessories catalogue so I'll take a wild guess here and say no, the chrome trim rings from the up! black/white probably do not fit the other models (one of the reasons they stand out as being slightly different than the other models).
Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
235 Posts
There was originally planned to be a 'Chrome Pack' for the High up! - fog light trims, mirror caps and side trim - priced at £250, but somewhere between the original info release (see Honest John) and launch it seems to have been canned by VW UK. I suspect it was because of the up! Black/White.

However, I'd put 50p on the fact that up! Black/White fog lamps will be the same as the High up! and the bumper too. What would be the sense of making them different? Just extra expense and complication for VW, let alone their dealers and customers.

As PrivateDoc suggests - could the dealer have made an error? The parts and service departments still seem to be finding their feet on the up! at the moment.

What's the part number of the trims you have? A few people on here have access to the VW parts website/data and may be able to check.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Upmeister thanks for the ray of hope! I thought same makes no sense designing a bumper the same with slightly bigger fogs, but theres no way these will fit so could be wrong part thing is they look right but then again i dont know what other volkswagens fog trims look like so couyld be from one of its bigger brothers?? hes pictures of the fogs if anyone with a white/black could confirm if these look right?

and a pic of the packet with details if any one would be so kind to check compatibility? would be greatly appriciated. Guy at VW said that the trim should be compatiable with ups with front fogs.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Here is a quick snap of mine

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for the pic privatedoc! I've took some pics of mine without and with me holding the trim upto my fogs. Tried at a similar angle distance to your shot. There's no way these are the right trims. There same style but alot bigger in comparison I'm sure there must be a smaller set and they must fit the high up as again the bumper looks the same on your white as my high up! Even the hole next to the fogs not sure what that's for? Emergency laser brake thingy?? That's in the same place. Going to gilders again to get this sorted cheers.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Good luck, sounds much more like they have sent you the wrong ones.....I'm heading out on housecalls soon so will measure the diameter of mine for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
13cm x 10.5cm across the front face

Hope that helps

·
Registered
727 Posts
wez_kc said:
Even the hole next to the fogs not sure what that's for? Emergency laser brake thingy?? That's in the same place.

The laser brake thingy is located on the windscreen above the rear view mirror.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
The wee hole is for adjusting the fog light.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers for measurements privatedoc can confirm that the chrome trim are the same size as yours so they are the right part but they don't fit the high up:( so will move on to next mod.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What Gilders giving duff advice......well who would think!

I can't imagine they'd use different size bumpers for the cars, I'd say it's from a different make

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The high up lights are nice and snug in their little holes, so I bet it is a different cut out in the bumper to allow for the chrome. They may have an automated router to make the holes bigger?? Just guessing..Edited by: Rednaxela

1 - 20 of 27 Posts