Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it so happens that in Denmark, you not only have to buy the High up, but also an extras package totalling £2500 extra, just to get the Parking/Reversing sensors that I'm after.

So I was wondering if its possible to retrofit these? I already have the M&M installed.

My main concern with this is that I would either have to a: get a new rear bumper, or b: drill holes in my bumper.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hmmm I've see a product that mounts to your numer plate and is a reversing sensor. This is it!

"veba avrsnp"

google that! I've never tried it looked at it for my old car but I got sensors on my up!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
After reading your post again I don't think my earlier post helped!! In the Uk we can buy parking sensors from vw as a aftermarket product, £300 fully fitted! As to new bumper or drilled holes I don't know but would imagine they drill holes because to replace all the bunper and repaint it to the right colour etc would cost to much!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Another number plate type is the META TARGA SR2. Costing in the UK £99 (incl fitting by www.hydeparkcorner.net the mobile people who come out
and fit - and possibly can advise where to purchase now that Halfords
appear not to list these on their website any more.)
We have this type (just two sensors, one each end of the number plate) on both our 2001 Vauxhall Agila and our 2009 Nissan Qashqai and these have proved totally satisfactory! Our Qashqai even had a reverse camera as standard (so Nissan deleted the factory fitted bumper sensors as fitted to the model below ours) but a reverse camera is not a lot of use on a wet dark winter night when there's a black wheely bin behind you in the way when reversing out of your drive! Also, camera or no camera, its the audible warning beep that's so valuable! - in all weathers. Particularly useful in supermarket car parks when reversing out of a parking space with cars and people (esp children) walking past. Yes; one should reverse into the parking space in such circumstances, but then the trolley can't be wheeled between parked cars to get to the boot with the shopping!
I wouldn't have a car without META TARGA SR2 as a minimum if it didn't have sensors already supplied.

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lisence plate sensors are definitely not an option. I didn't know they would fit these on afterwards, they won't in denmark. I think l give the German VW retailer a call and see if they are willing to do it.. I'm also considering calling them about fitting a cruise control.
I would still love to hear if anyone have had it done, and what it ended up costing

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe I read another post claiming that the placement of the sensors are already marked in the bumper as it is on Touran/Passat etc. so basically it should just be to drill out this marked spots, also the wiring should be pretty simple.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi from Greece, although i am not fluent in English i will try to describe shortly the procedure. (Of course there is a diagram in the box picturing the cable connections-its the easiest step)

installation is a very easy DIY procedure...i ve fitted them in our 4 family cars ...(vauxhall twintop, vauxhall gtc, honda HRv, vw polo....my up! was sensor-ready!!) The cost is about 30euros for the sensors (ebay or in any e-shop)....i bought the 2 sensors kit without the little monitor. (The twintop has the META system that fits around the licence plate-no holes needed. Its was a gift from the dealer but i made the installation myself. It costs here about 200euro). Of course there are other brands which cost more, but 4 years now i ve never faced a problem with any of them

You only need to measure the bumper and mark the holes. The sensors kit comes with a special "head' that you use with the drill and open the holes. Its much much easier than it sounds...Then you put the cable and the sensor in the hole and press it slightly. The only problem is if there is not enough space behind the bumper to place the sensor...(The GTC has something like a foam behind the bumper and i use a screwdriver to open a hole through the foam to pass the cable). Once you fit all the sensor you gahter all the cables and cover them alltogether with duct tape.

Then you find the hole that exist in the bottom of your boot (under the spare wheel) which is cover by a soft plastic cap and is used for draining the water (if something back there doesn't seal well...). Remove it, pass all the cable through the hole and then with the screwdriver press gently the center of the cap to open a small hole...then pass the cable through this hole and place back the cap. Seal then the hole on the cap with some silicon glue. You now have to find a place to put the sensors' unit, it comes with a two-sided tape and its easy to stick it everywhere...it has also the option to screw it (somewhere that is safe from the buggages).

the next step is to place all the sensors' cable on the unit (each cable has a number on it and the same number exist on the unit so as to place them correctly). You also place on the buzzer cable and put the buzzer where you like it, usually somewhere on or under the bases of the boots cover (I don' know the exact term...)

The final step is to connect the power cable. The sensors are powered by the R light. So you have to place the one edge of the cable on the unit and bypass the other one on the cable that power the R-light and you are ready!!!!

On the HR-V the installation was more difficult as i had to remove the bumber. It took only half an hour extra. The best solution is license plate sensors. They fit everywhere and you only have to crew the frame with the sensors and then place the plate on it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Go to ebay for parking sensors. they are cheap and you can find them with the colour of your car
!in you tube you can see how you can put it yourself. its not very difficult.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean your up was sensor ready? What else goes into it other then the sensors?Edited by: Mulo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts