Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having had 2 polo's why have VW changed the place where reverse is ??? waiting for my up and haveing done a test drive feel confused why they had to move it ?? any answers please ??

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's cost cutting and they could not fit the normal VW box in the car. I was disappointed when I saw they had changed something so fundamentally VW

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
it did confuse me slightly as a fellow VW driver, i had to think a bit extra when putting it into reverse on my test drive too, but like mark points out those new to VW wont notice the difference and the rest of us will get used to it!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not sure the gearbox was made just to cut costs (although i am sure they did). As I understand it was also done to save weight.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The potental problem is that is where sixth gear is on our other vw,so if you get heavy handed it could be nasty.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's a good point. Have 6 gears on my Skoda (effectively a VW gearbox). Going to have to be careful. Is reverse selected by pressing down on the gear stick or pulling up?

·
Registered
76 Posts
R1ch said:
That's a good point. Have 6 gears on my Skoda (effectively a VW gearbox). Going to have to be careful. Is reverse selected by pressing down on the gear stick or pulling up?
Reverse gear is across to the right and back, no pushing down or pulling up, so 6 speed boxes may have trouble getting used to it x

·
Registered
51 Posts
In all fairness in recent months I have had nothing but problems with the gearbox in my golf mk4!! (rivet in the final drive went and put a hole in the casing... 750 quid later my car was back on the road!)
I welcome a new gear box with open arms :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
The reverse gear in the Up is the same as my Aygo. My
parents have a polo which has the reverse gear on the opposite side to the Up and
the Aygo. New people coming to VW will not notice the difference.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is there really nothing to stop you from accidentally putting the car into reverse when going 60/70 mph? For those that are used to 6 gears this had a potential to be very nasty. At least if you had to push down or pull up it would be harder but this doesn't seem
To be the case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No it is just pull back. I guess the sincro would not let you but at 50-70 a masive scraping noise would not be nice. Plus there was a post on here that a car was taken back because of a dodgy box. I hope they re think and change it do it is safe and works better. There again I think they will as in the first year of production the Fox was changed quite a few times.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What did they change on the Fox in the first year?

Any change I guess would not be any good to us waiting for cars as likely to come later in the year if at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cosmetically they changed the steering wheel

I believe they also had a bit of a mess about with the electrics and a few other underpinnings.
As the first cars that went out had some faults that did not show up in pre launch testing.

Now they have a few hundred/thousand Up!'s on the road these faults will be addressed and things my change from what the first cars came out like, like the Fox.

Edited by: cl coupe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts