Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried upgrading the reverse light to a brighter option? the existing one seems pretty poor, barely allowing you to actually see where you are reversing. Has anyone else noticed this being the case, or is it just me? haha

·
Registered
222 Posts
Can't say this has ever been a problem.

·
Registered
851 Posts
A reversing light is not a driver's aid - it's for the safety of other drivers - just like brake lights. There are rules governing the relative brightness of each type of light which is why, when following cars of every possible brand, the red night lights are uniformly the same brightness as are the brake lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its only ever noticed when having to reverse up unlit driveways, its not a major issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
AlanG said:
A reversing light is not a driver's aid - it's for the safety of other drivers - just like brake lights. There are rules governing the relative brightness of each type of light which is why, when following cars of every possible brand, the red night lights are uniformly the same brightness as are the brake lights.
Not sure the reverse light is seen as a "safety" aid to others. It is not required on a vehicle as part of an MOT test.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In answer to the OP's question, I would check on the Bulb type and look for an equivalent LED version.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
and some cars have 2 white lights to reverse....don't think it would be a prob to up the 5watt bulb to a 21 watt bulb.....as before, not a prob for MOT

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
as UPs have no canbus light sensing, LED upgrades are easy must get some....what fitting are they craig? (can't be arsed going out in the wind and rain to check!
)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes...I'd like to understand LEDs. I've read all the threads about them but still have no idea. Can anyone post a divvys guide to what can be easily changed. I worry about blowing something up. I'd like to start with the number plate light.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In my experience, LEDs look cool but give out a very feeble, mono-directional light.

·
Registered
62 Posts
LED that are available right now (after market) are poor choice since their out put is very poor compared to the halogen bulbs. They have only a colour appeal (white) and less function. Besides they are unsafe (both due to poor light output and spread that is required).
Edited by: Raj55

·
Registered
333 Posts
Bright number plate lights just don't look right just keep to the norm personally waist of pennies , also regarding reversing lights ,they are fitted mostly for warning to pedestrian ,to warn traffic ,of your decision of movement , etc

·
Registered
106 Posts
Privatedoc said:
as UPs have no canbus light sensing, LED upgrades are easy...

As far as I know the Up's DO have CANBUS light sensing.
That's the only reasoning as to why people blow fuses when installing LEDs in the DRL.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
went with upgrade halogen drl and headlights instead......led still not good enough imho

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Blackpuppy said:
Privatedoc said:
as UPs have no canbus light sensing, LED upgrades are easy...

As far as I know the Up's DO have CANBUS light sensing.
That's the only reasoning as to why people blow fuses when installing LEDs in the DRL.
If you can show us where on your dashboard display the bulb failure warning is, that would be great. Mine certainly doesn't have any bulb failure warning, as I've had two sets of DRLs go pop on me, and I've only ever noticed from the reflection from the car in front that they weren't working.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
as I said earlier...no canbus bulb sensing......not even a blank warning light for it

unless you know different!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts