Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, co-incidentally, I was having a look earlier. VW UK have gone from offering only base model and GTI to a few different variants ... If I remember correctly, Base, White edition, Black Edition, Beats and then R-Line, having dropped the GTI.

For quite some time now, Skoda and Seat have only been offering the Citigo and MiI in electric versions ...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sad and interesting. Didn’t expect that to happen quite so soon, maybe it’s a strategic thing or they’ve sold the years U.K. quota, is it still available across Europe? Maybe the opposite applies and it was selling well here but nowhere else? Probably just the emissions thing though :-(

Should firm up prices in the used market for a while.

I have suddenly found myself with even less reasons to drive and am mulling over not owning a car at all, not owning a car until at least next Spring is something I ‘could’ do but if my GTi isn’t going to depreciate as much then it might be worth keeping. I could operate with a Caterham as my only car now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wondered if it had been discontinued again. I ordered at the end of June, white 3 door all options ticked and it arrived at the dealer yesterday. Should be collecting next week I guess.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Had a bit of a probe around VW’s websites for a few European countries.

Germany - No GTi listed
France - No GTi listed
Spain - No GTi listed
Switzerland Yes GTi listed
Austria - Yes GTi listed
Italy - Yes GTi listed
Greece - No up! listed
Turkey - No up! listed
Slovakia - Yes GTi listed, not with the same wheels.
Latvia - No GTi listed
Estonia - No GTi listed
Norway - No GTi just e-up!
Denmark - Yes GTi listed
Netherlands -Yes GTi listed
Belgium - No GTi listed

Those are the only ones I can bluff my way through the lingo but interesting it’s still listed in a few places and not others.

Reactions: neilfarrar

·
Registered
206 Posts
Drilling down into the specs of the cars now available via the U.K. VW site it looks like the only engine available is the one with 65PS. Spec wise it’s basic up!, white, black, beats and r-line.

Their site is littered with references to and pictures of the up! GTi and yet you can’t configure or buy one anywhere… messy!

·
Registered
138 Posts
They did stop production of the GTI before and then started again,so perhaps they will do the same again. If not you could always import one from the countries that still have it on sale,but i guess the car would be left hand drive.
I will keep my car for a few years,but i would not want to change any car for the same model again straight away,so if the UP GTI is not available when i want a new car it will not be a problem for me as i will want something different anyway,perhaps a Mini Cooper or Polo. I do understand it will be sad for those who want to buy a GTI who have not had one before.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They did stop production of the GTI before and then started again,so perhaps they will do the same again.
Absolutely no chance. All models of Skoda Citigo are now officially discontinued with no plans to replace it, Seat Mii to follow imminently along with VW's UP. All versions of the model are being permanently phased out. It's over.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Absolutely no chance. All models of Skoda Citigo are now officially discontinued with no plans to replace it, Seat Mii to follow imminently along with VW's UP. All versions of the model are being permanently phased out. It's over.
Sad but true. 👍

·
Registered
138 Posts
There will not be a lot of choice for a small car then. What is still in production? The Fiat Panda and 500. Kia Piccanto, Hyundai i10. Toyota Aygo.
We will have to buy the larger size instead. Polo, Corsa, Mini, Fiesta.
Hyundai has updated the i10 with the N model and Fiat has updated the 500 so at least some firms are happy to sell small cars.
I think i will be keeping my UP GTI for a long time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The whole segment could disappear, the Fiat soft hybrid approach is only a sticking plaster solution. New 500 is electric and hellishly expensive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes the 500 electric is very expensive as most EVs are. I was looking at the Renault Zoe which looks quite good,but a crazy price. £30 000 for a top spec model. You could get a BMW 3 series or JAGUAR XE for similar money.
I will keep my UP GTI. I spotted two yesterday in Blackpool. One in Black and one in White.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Same happened with the new Jimny. Massively popular, waiting lists 18 months, and Suzuki first biff the price up (as VW did with the Up GTi) and then withdraw it from the U.K. market.

As already mentioned above, it's to do with overall emissions as a car manufacturer.

Fortunately there's loads of Up GTi's out there, over fifty for sale at the moment, and prices are sensible.

The Jimny is in very short supply and new/nearly new examples are selling for around £24,000
That's nearly £5,000 over the list price.
And people are actually buying at that price. Someone on the Jimny forum just paid £23,500 and ours cost similar money.
The ideal garage l think, would be an Up GTi and a Jimny.
l think someone on here has both, but here's our two daily drivers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fortunately there's loads of Up GTi's out there, over fifty for sale at the moment, and prices are sensible.
If they’ve stopped making the GTI again autotrader will dry up again within a couple of months. All good for residuals and depreciation esp for those who bought in at “mk1” prices. 👍

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep, l would agree with that. Although there will be loads of them for sale after coming off PCP agreements in a few months, then again next year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes though still likely a rare-ish car overall once that evens out. Wonder how many ended up coming into the UK? 4000?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts