Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just renewed my road tax but as from the first of October a tax disc is not required so I wasn't issued with one. Do you all plan to remove your tax discs on the first of October or keep them displayed until they expire?Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
67 Posts
I will remove mine if legal, but have not really looked into this properly - and my tax runs until mid 2015.
Is the plan for it to be all done online, and scrap using local posties?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No you still get a reminder and can pay at the post office. You can also pay now by direct debit which continues to run until you inform DVLA that you no longer have the car. Also a road tax is no longer transferable because as soon as the DVLA are told a car has been sold they refund the tax. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Britain will have no more disk?

In Germany the Bavarian idiots (my personal point of view) want to introduce a road tax - which will lead to an additional sticker. We already have to have these incredible "enviromental stickers" in Germany.
Imagine Birmingham or Manchester had it's own party in the government (Bavaria has 6 Million inhabitants - NRW where I live 17 Millions ...)

The new road tax in Germany (surely on British TV too?) is no law yet - but it will come as Bavaria has it's own political party in our government and has to show some "success" at all (even if it is no-sense).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too will be removing mine although I'll miss tearing out that perforated little disc and displaying a new one! It's the little things I suppose.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
They stopped using perforations a couple of months back and started making you cut it out - I won't miss that at all...

·
Registered
116 Posts
They have started doing the same thing here in my state Victoria in Australia.
Government says it is to save costs.

Strange how they don't pass the savings back to us motorists............

·
Registered
77 Posts
Our council did away with windscreen permits for residents' parking a few months ago (it's all computerised now) and as soon as Wednesday comes around I'll have a nice clear windscreen!

·
Registered
26 Posts
All 64 plate vehicles will have to have been taxed to be registered. The VEL system does not go live fully until 1st October so the police cannot check if a vehicle is taxed. Until that time if a vehicle isn't displaying one it will be treated as not having a valid disc in force. We were sent a message at work reminding us that until 1st October a valid disc MUST be displayed and offences dealt with accordingly. All 64 plate vehicles were issued with discs. If the dealers have interpreted the law of display wrongly then that is their problem

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
It isn't their problem though, is it. It's the problem of all the customers driving around in their nice new cars supposedly committing an offense.

If they get prosecuted for failure to display, I'm pretty sure that 'my dealer said it was ok' won't be a valid defence, and it seems to be more than just a couple of dealerships 'getting this wrong'.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When I bought my new car in March, I was sent the tax disc through the post directly from DVLA. Are you saying that for 64 cars, the DVLA have not been sending any discs out?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes the DVLA have been sending them out but I suspect some dealers have been telling people that they don't need to display them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts