Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I thought I would start a post and share the experiences I've had driving my Up! long distances over a relatively short space of time!
I'm currently repeating a similar road trip to one I did last year.
This year we set off from Harrogate at 3.30am and drove to the channel tunnel in about 4 hours. From Calais we drove through France and Germany and were in the middle of the Black forest, Park up outside our log cabin (shed) having a beer by 5pm! We stayed there for two nights before heading through Germany; Heilbronn, Stuttgart, Dresden then into Poland through Krakow and on to Kielce! (wife's home town)
All the way the UP hardly went below 70mph on the motorways/autobahn staying at 80-90mph most of the way and even believe it or not, hitting 110mph at an average of 56mpg!
The car is pretty comfortable over long distances for a "city" car and has plenty of space for two people with three weeks of crap in tow.
Will be driving onto Gdansk next week will try get some photos up

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks for the report. Glad all went well but not surprised the Up! is a great all rounder. I imagine there will still be those who say the Up! is a gutless city car only good enough for the weekly shop.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks for the report Rossrocks!

Well; I live in Germany and the A44 (Autobahn 44) East of Dortmund towards Kassel has no speed limit ...

My maximum was 80 mph so far because my up! is too new (400 miles) ...
Driving the up! at 80 mph feels better than with my (50 BHP) VW Lupo before.
You have to look into the mirror, but 90 mph are no problem for the up!.
Did the A44 with my motorbike last weekend (for fun) and I had to pay attention with 100 mph. If you don't want to look into the mirror all the time in Germany, your vehicle should do 150 mph or more ...

For people who live in the UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland +++ the 100 mph of the up! are enough (to my mind). Well; they are enough for me here in Germany.

In the German up! forum we had several drivers with 125 mph (200 km/h) on the display!

Okay; downhill on the motorway ...

Please report more about your trip to Poland and back!
Andreas

·
Registered
176 Posts
The idea of a German road trip is definitely on my bucket list. When I purchased my Mercedes A-class, I could have paid an extra £400 to drive it home from Germany. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to organise the time off work, otherwise I would have done.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
The only mistake Volkswagen made with the up!

Is calling it a city car.

As we all know it ain't no city car!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Miserable Git said:
The idea of a German road trip is definitely on my bucket list ...
I heard some English who like our roads ...

Well; I prefer English roads - at least as motorbike rider ...
Millions of traffic lights in Germany ... the English roundabouts are much better!
We meanwhile build a bit more roundabouts - but the English are much better built!

Also the Autobahn is too crowded or too stressy ...
I always enjoyed riding the English motorways.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I love German roads, at least the areas where I've driven!

As for the Up being a city car - the latest Car Buyer review of the Peugeot 108 says that it's great in the city but, if you want a car that does both city and country roads/motorways, get the Up or Citigo instead!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sat in the car, waiting on the wife this evening I decided to plot the remaining main parts of the journey on the m&m

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last week I took my Up! on its first long trip: Sydney to Melbourne, a distance of about 880kms. The Up! cruised very happily at 120 km/h the whole way [our highways are speed limited at 110] and managed all of the long hills in 5th gear. I was very impressed. I made the same trip last year in my old Polo GTI. The trip in the Up! took the same amount of time and was more comfortable. The performance is quite amazing given the modest torque and power numbers. Only downside was a nasty cracked windscreen on the way home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts