Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :)

I bought my used Up! about 2 months ago and have really enjoyed the eco display and Bluetooth phone functionality of the Garmin which seemed to work well.

I always take it out of the cradle but store it in the glove box leaving the cradle in situ. A few days into the heat wave I finally drove my car but when I started the engine the Garmin wouldn’t turn on so I manually did it and it immediately said low battery but the charging icon wasn’t showing. It eventually went flat and my journey was too short to charge it, although I fear it wouldn’t have charged even if I drove for hours!

The previous owner didn’t have the usb cable so I have bought one to see if it is the unit or the cradle.

I have charged it until full at home and just been out on a short journey, none of the data from the car is showing eg. Eco score, mpg, speed etc. The navigation capabilities looked as though they would work and the Bluetooth was connected to my phone but the media options were not highlighted or allowing me to click.

I also only drove for 15 minutes and the battery had only a 1/3 left and it was not charging.

I am considering purchasing a new cradle as I believe that is where the problem is and I’m just assuming the heat might have done something to the little connector things that either make contact with the dash or the Garmin itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was really enjoying it and getting quite competitive with my mpg and eco score!

As a side question - I also read the manual online and feel like I might be able to get my music to come through the car via the Garmin, it always connects when my Spotify is open and when I was at home charging it and listening to music played it from the device? Even showing the name of the track!!! Is this something I can do or am I dreaming?

Thank you for getting to the bottom of a very long post and for any advice.

Ultimately I just want to know if I should buy a replacement cradle or the whole device?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sounds more like the battery in Garmin is end of life. All (recent) lithium batteries eventually get to the point where they no longer hold charge. This will happen faster or slower depending the number of charge/discharge cycles and quality/intelligence of the charging circuitry. A sure killer is charging in extreme cold or heat. Letting a black slab on the dashboard get very hot in the sun is definitely something that will reduce battery life.

If it is the battery, there is a good chance you can open the unit up (unlike most phones!) and change it. Most lithium batteries are standard sizes and can usually be bought online. I don't have a Garmin to verify that it is easy to open, but I have replaced the batteries on a few other devices.

Of course, it could be another problem entirely!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello thank you for your reply :) it might be an idea to try that as it may prove cheaper than buying a replacement cradle, also given the age of the car I’m guessing that on short trips using the cradle it’s probably received some battery fatigue during that time anyway! So can’t hurt!!

My only concern is that the data from the car and media capabilities aren’t working at all, I’m not sure the battery being dodgy would effect that? But maybe I’m wrong in my thinking.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Poor main battery condition can definitely affect various (intelligent*) electronic systems, but checking and eliminating the easy/relatively cheap stuff first is never a bad idea.

* dumb things like simple regulators, such as 12V to 5V USB supplies, have no CPUs/Memory etc, and will work with main batteries down to 6-7 volts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to drive with it today plugged into the cradle and the usb cable into the cigarette lighter socket... still not using registering the data but from what I understand you’re saying the I should just change the battery first and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ps the cradle was the only thing left on the dash during the heatwave hence why I am suspicious that it is my main culprit... think I will definitely replace batter regardless as it seems a good idea!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes I reckon the Garmin lithium battery may well be past it's "use by date", (especially if it has overheated in the sun) but my comment about "main battery" meant the big lead acid one under the bonnet, which you should definitely check. I don't know what is in the "cradle" but I'd be surprised if there was anything that wears out or is heat sensitive....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update, I patiently waited for a replacement cradle from Germany and the Maps and More now works perfectly, I even have Bluetooth music automatically. Couldn’t be happier and only cost me £45 inc postage :) hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue

·
Registered
245 Posts
Possible it was just dirty contacts on the old cradle. Worth cleaning with a solvent and if it works you could sell it on eBay. If it doesn't, you've wasted 2 minutes of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts