Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I foumd this forum researching an issue I have with my High Up purchased Sept last year .I joined yesterday and I am grateful for the welcome messages.I apologise in advance that this is quite a long post and I am grateful for those that take the time to read and comment As alluded to in my intro and the post title ,whilst I am really happy generally with the car I do have an issue with my roof aerial.
Probably the best way of describing it would be that if a perfectly centred vertical aerial was 12 o clock as you lokk from the front of the car mine is in the 3 minutes to 12 position. Quite noticable to me.
I took the car back to the supplying dealer a couple of weeks after purchase and pointed out the issue. The guy who sold me the car was struggling to see what I was referring to but another salesman and then a technician both confirmed it was out of alignment. The tech went into the stores and brought out a new aerial to check the fitment . Unfortunately what you are not able to do is get at the aerial via the headling , loosen it re align then re tightenThe aerial actually fits into a slot machined into the roof with no scope for adjustment i.e. if the slot is out of alignment then you are scuppered.
The Tech said I wasnt the first to complain and on checking cars on the forecourt we found another two. The guy who sold me the car said he would take it up with VW and get back to me , that was November.
My inexperienced take on this was that at some point the tooling on the production line must have been out of synch.I believed this to be a significant quality control issue so prepared myself for a long wait for news. I was somewhat dissapointed when I checked with slaesman in Feb to be told " I forgot to get in touch with VW"

I left dissapointed to say the least but was reassured that he would take it up immediately. I gave him a couple of days and receieved an e mail saying they had looked around the forecourt and found others that were the same and the technician says there is nothing that can be done.
I have replied saying that that isnt satisfactory and where do I go next with my case .That was 7 days ago and I still await any response.

I am curious as to whether this is an issue known to members ? What if any advice is on offer for pursuing my complaint? What, if anything should I expect in terms of redress ?

My next move is to contact the Manager of the branch which I am loathed to do as I will obviously be dropping salesman in the clarts but I think he has had his chances

Thanks for your time and any thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this one. I have just checked mine and it is probably one and a half minutes to twelve. I am so embarrassed that I have been driving round like this for nearly eighteen months. I am relieved that I can't see it whilst I am driving but when I have stopped I will have to wait while no one is around before I get out. Alternatively I think I will probably say what the heck it's not worth losing sleep over.

·
Registered
325 Posts
OK, sarcasm aside, this wouldn't bother some people. Others, however, consider a car to be a major purchase and are (quite rightly) disappointed when it doesn't quite live up to VW's reputation for build quality.

I (for all my faults) fall into the latter category and will not be happy if things aren't right when I finally get mine.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
mine is 'a baw hair' out as we say in Scotland........can't say it bothers me as much as the pish reception !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your assistance. I think mine is actually quite noticeable to the point that it just doesnt look right.That coupled with the poor dealer response so far is why I am concerned .

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This afternoon I have been a man with a mission and doing some market research. I found numerous cars with aerials not perfectly perpendicular from Ford to Mercedes. Some were more obvious than others, some lean left and some right. If you think your aerial is too far from perpendicular of course you should take it up with your dealer. I can't help thinking however that the more trivial issues raised with dealers the more likely they are to respond with less concern.

·
Registered
325 Posts
On the contrary, if you don't say anything then nothing will get done about it!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Looked earlier and mine is not in line either.
Must admit to not being to bothered about it though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts