Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's already a thread about roof bars http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/roof-bars-pictures-added_topic1002_post12103.html?KW=roof+bars#12103, but there are quite a few makes available and I'm wondering if anyone has experience of different types of bar? Is there any advantage of aluminium aero bars over steel apart from the fact that they look good? I want them to carry my bike and I'm thinking of getting a complete Altera system as I like the look of the carrier. It looks very like what VW offer. Could it be the same?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I have the thule aerobars, brilliant and worth the cost, esp as the thule carriers fit into the channels on them making a quick and secure unit. All I have to do when the up comes is buy a new footpack for it

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
YOu are probably best getting the VW roof bars as apparently the holes for them are already there!

I can see the holes on the front, but can't see the holes in the back!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im pretty sure those are standard fixing points. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the thule too, thesealso use the holes at the front (the front bar roof clamps have a pin that goes in the holes above the front door frames... and yes these are standard mounts for roof bars, and similar on many car models without roof gutters) and are cheaper than the VW I believe too. They just clamp in the space above theside windows (no holes required for rear clamps)

Thule are also the MASTERS of roof bars... you can't go wrong with a Thule roof bar! Quality in design and construction... I discovered them for my Volvo and went for the same on the up!

Some tips- the rear bside windows have markers on them denoting the area for clamping within DO NOT CLAMP OUTSIDE THESE... These marks are hard to see on the darker tinted rear side windows, but they are there still, I found them on mine.

Use the torque key to tighten the bars onto the roof, but be careful this isnt that easy to tell that you might be overdoing the tightening... i had a cycle torque wrench and used this to ensure i used the correct tightness (it was 3nmI beleive but check with your bars before doing them up please)

I have used helicopter protection tape to protect the paint/body of the car where they clamp...

Here are my roof bars with my sail rigtube on (using fasty quick release winches)

Edited by: Markmod1

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Markmod1 said:
Use the torque key to tighten the bars onto the roof,

Absolutely, I found out the hard way by tightening front bars on an aygo and denting the a/roof pillar quite deeply!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts