Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Has anyone added a roof box to their Up? If so how much did it cost for the box and rods, where did you get it from and how easy was it to fit? Im thinking of adding one to mine to give me a bit more space when travelling.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have tried to find a picture of an Up with a roof box / cargo basket for some time now. Please post here if you find any.

I'm currently looking at these products:

http://www.thule.com/en/NO/Products/Cargo-Carriers/Baskets

http://www.thule.com/en/NO/Products/Cargo-Carriers/Boxes

I like the box for security reasons in the city / car parks (can be locked) and it's better in rainy/snowy conditions, but the roof basket is more versatile as it allows transportation of bulky goods (goods can be fastened and secured no matter if they fit into the basket or it protrudes out (like lumber etc.).

The reason I need this is that I'm considering buying a 5-door ASG High UP. I normally will use the car alone to/from work on the weekdays, but have a large dog and a large child seat in the car during longer trips / weekends and there will be NO room for luggage inside the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, thats the best pictures I've found but I would be interested to see the whole car with the rack / box on it. Especially if someone has the larger roof boxes. I want to see it it looks acceptable so I can leave it on the car 24/7. I know this will affect fuel economy by 5-15%, but it's not that important to me as the UP! uses under 50% of the VW Caravelle T5 I used to have and I really need some storage space when the dog is taking up all the luggage space inside the UP! (except for the small extra storage under the trunk floor).

When I think of it, I think I have to go for the roof basket solution. It will not make sense to pay for a panoramic roof, to have it blocked by the front of the roof box

Edited by: stratcast

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had bike on my roof rack tonight... Not a heavy mountain bike, or an ultralight carbon racer, just a standard classic steel Raleigh road bike and I can really tell it's up there. The car rolls much more on roundabouts/ corners with it's higher centre of hravity and it really dulls what acceleration the car does have. Going onto a motorway from a slip road the car had no get 'up!' and go... Foot hard to the floor in 4th and I still got flashed by a national bus joining the outside lane.

Watch the max weight up there too. It's 50 kg I believe (check this before you take my word for it) so no boats or real heavy items (3 mountain bikes etc)

Get your roof box but remember you will have to drive accordingly I expect. I can now understand why you cannot tow with an up. I expect even a micro trailer would seem a noose round an ups neck in day to day driving.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Markmod1 said:
I had bike on my roof rack tonight... Not a heavy mountain bike, or an ultralight carbon racer, just a standard classic steel Raleigh road bike and I can really tell it's up there. The car rolls much more on roundabouts/ corners with it's higher centre of hravity and it really dulls what acceleration the car does have. Going onto a motorway from a slip road the car had no get 'up!' and go... Foot hard to the floor in 4th and I still got flashed by a national bus joining the outside lane.

Watch the max weight up there too. It's 50 kg I believe (check this before you take my word for it) so no boats or real heavy items (3 mountain bikes etc)

Get your roof box but remember you will have to drive accordingly I expect. I can now understand why you cannot tow with an up. I expect even a micro trailer would seem a noose round an ups neck in day to day driving.
I'm surprised, Markmod. I drove to London and back with my bike on the roof and had to keep looking out of the window at the shadow to check it was actually there. I really didn't notice any difference in performance. Filling the car with passengers however slowed the little car down no end, but then, it is only small!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Perhaps just me, I was conscious of not throwing the car around too much, so was perhaps easier on the gas/ acceleration and brakes because of this??

However I def noticed the extra roll with the higher centre of gravity, maybe you have sports suspension?. I have standard.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the Thule bars too. Top product and cheaper than VW. Got mine from roofbox online. Fab service and went for big lock swap pack too. One key does all my bars and cycle carriers now... Great, no more fumbling through four sets of Thule keys to find the right key for each lock.... It was always the last one I tried

·
Registered
525 Posts
I bought the Atera bars and Atera Giro bike holder. The bars are a bit cheaper than the Thule but the fittings are very similar to the ones I was looking at in the VW dealer the other day. I got the Giro bike holder brcause it looked very east to fit the bike on on your own, and so it is. Very happy and far cheaper than VW. And Markmod, no sports suspension I'm afraid. Im just pleased to have a bike carrying arrangement that works so well. Most of my last trip was on motorway so there wasn't a lot of hurling the car round corners!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I stumbled over this great product today:http://urbanloader.se/#/en/

From what I can see it can be raised to offer a much higher storage space than regular roof boxes.
It's expensive, so I have to check it out in real life to see if it's flimsy or actually worth buying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts