·
Registered
63 Posts
Why the concern after 3 years ?

The terms and conditions of the Volkswagen warranty are such that :

vehicles are fully protected during manufacture
against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first
registration.

So no need to worry for another 9 years.

·
Registered
122 Posts
'through corrosion' is an interesting term - I used a Ford Ka with the classic rust around the filler cap.I'm no expert, but would say that would be rejected as 'through corrosion', rather surface rust creeping out from the lip area under the plastic filler cap assembly.
The precise terms and wording used can be a nightmare to interpret.
And VW will doubtless insist on owners paying their service prices when cars have sunk to a modest value in order to preserve the 12 year warranty.
The fact is, if this Up is rusting as stated its bad news whatever the warranty says - especially from VW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At less than 3 years old you kinda expect it to not be corroding to a point that it needs attention, and good luck getting them to fix it after its a panel and not a cheap repair, I have read many a story on that 12yr warranty, aint worth the paper its written on. Fact is at less than 3 years old, it should not be happening, and being one of the first in production, it does not bode well. Most people will not see it and the VW garage will not point it out in the ''corrosion'' check.

Edited by: Gotpaintinmyhair

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The corrosive properties of petrol and diesel is widely reported on the Internet. It is always a good idea to wipe up any spillages on paintwork or around the filler cap to prevent damage. If you are not careful you could be allowing corrosion to occur which of course would not be corrected under the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,599 Posts
Beevee said:
The corrosive properties of petrol and diesel is widely reported on the Internet. It is always a good idea to wipe up any spillages on paintwork or around the filler cap to prevent damage. If you are not careful you could be allowing corrosion to occur which of course would not be corrected under the warranty.

Whilst raw petrol and diesel is corrosive, all refineries are required by Law to include corrosion inhibitors in their fuels. If it is widely accepted that fuel residue can cause corrosion, then naturally vehicle manufacturers should include extra corrosion protection in areas likely to be affected.

Of course it is good practice to remove any drips or spills when refuelling is finished, but not everyone is in that mindset.

I do not believe that there is a sufficient 'get out' by VW or anyone bearing in mind the two points above.

Edited by: shakotanVIP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beevee said:
Corrosion is not where a petrol drip would reach and come off it, im yorkshire born n bred... aint a drop that goes anywhere but down the pipe!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Good on you my friend. I have many relations in Yorkshire and I can understand what you mean.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm assuming many Up owners, especially those who view their cars as a long-term vehicle, will be paying close attention here (count me among them).It would be good to hear updates of how this proceeds and also, if possible to see some photos - so the rest of us who don't have easy access to ramps know what to look out for. I'm guessing it won't be the easiest thing to see without at least taking the wheel off?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Marmite said:
I'm assuming many Up owners, especially those who view their cars as a long-term vehicle, will be paying close attention here (count me among them).It would be good to hear updates of how this proceeds and also, if possible to see some photos - so the rest of us who don't have easy access to ramps know what to look out for. I'm guessing it won't be the easiest thing to see without at least taking the wheel off?
Spot on Marmite.....a few photos would help us all and we would know where to look and what to look for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What a bloomin nightmare this has been turning into! I have been dealing with the VW Directors Office, lovely very helpful lady and then a gent. They are reviewing internally the actions of Lightcliffe VW - very happy about that. Just had word back after the photos were sent to VW Germany to review, they have agreed the corrosion is their issue and nothing I have done, it is being done under warranty with the Directors Office folks keeping an eye on its progress and how happy I am with the work. Just waiting a date to take it into Huddersfield VW to be done, will be without the car for about 2 days but a free courtesy car is being given while I am without it. I will get some photos for you before it goes in as soon as I can get it back on my friends ramp to take some!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Good news. Pleased to see the warranty in action despite what some contributors would have you believe about the way VW treat their customers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my UP has just gone 3 years old, not being an idiot I had my buddy
put it up on his ramp for a good look over before the warranty ends,
this was mid July. Low and behold we found it rotting inside the wing by
the petrol cap. Mentioned it when it went in for its service at VW
Lightcliffe where I bought it - do not use them, they are cowboys - they
told me yeah its rotting and that's about it, nothing on paper, nothing
written down and no mention of it rotting on my service log, this I
shall be following up with trading standards. Lightcliffe faffed and
messed me about for a couple of weeks to within 2 days of my warranty
running out so I went to Huddersfield VW for a 2nd opinion, same again
yeah its rotting we will get on it for you - awesome.Now Milton Keynes
Warranty office is referring it to the factory for a 2nd opinion, they
are basically trying to get out of it. I am actually in contact now with
VW UK, lovely lady is helping to sort the issues with the rot and the
terrible garage. Morale of the story check your petrol cap on the
underside of your wing for rust! Mines one of the early ones in
production so this issue will not be widely known especially if the VW
garages are not even marking things like rot down in the service
log...... not like they actually give it a good service anyway with the
time limits that they have, its not possible to give any car a thorough
check.
I just discovered my rusting petrol cap rear wing one month ago mine is 20 14 model I have taken it to my nearest VW dealer ,I was told the warranty guy would inspect it and they would get back to me ,7 phone calls later still no decision made ,they are just playing for time hopping I’ll give up trying ,I can’t see me been able to sell my car with this rust.Very disappointing,always loved VW .

·
Registered
75 Posts
For those of you who are trying to prevent the rust around the petrol cap for pre facelift models. I cleaned and waxed the inside of the wing then fitted arch liners. I have created the full instructions and parts list so that others can benefit also. As far as im aware, my car is the only UP pre facelift with rear arch liners anywhere. Id be more than happy to share the instructions etc for those interested. (Its preservation wax on the drum)
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those of you who are trying to prevent the rust around the petrol cap for pre facelift models. I cleaned and waxed the inside of the wing then fitted arch liners. I have created the full instructions and parts list so that others can benefit also. As far as im aware, my car is the only UP pre facelift with rear arch liners anywhere. Id be more than happy to share the instructions etc for those interested. (Its preservation wax on the drum)

can send a list of parts we need ?

Thx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts