Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any one has had problems with the rubber seal on air filter box.Yesterday while driving my wife,s Up auto the car started to lose power and would not allow me to change gear and the servo wemt on the brakes making dangerously difficult to stop.When Vw assist arrived (RAC)the technician with use of computer diagnosed a throttle malfunction.When he took the air filter box (sorry not technicl but the big black box on top of engine) he found a part of the rubber seal had come off and lodged in the inletcausing the throttle to malfunction.Have taken car to garage today and they are going to do a full investigation.Don,t know if it was just badly fitted or there is manfacturing fault with the seal.Either way it was very dangerous and has really concerned my wife.
Apart from this we have been really happy with car

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not good!

They should be able, from your VIN number, to trace it back to the exact person on the assembly line who fitted that rubber seal badly, and remedy the problem, but of course that doesn't change the fact that this was a dangerous situation for you. Losing power suddenly can cause an accident.

Also, unfiltered dirt and grit may have got sucked into the inlet over a period of time while the rubber seal was not properly in place, which may hace caused premature wear/damage to the engine. They need to do a very thorough check of all this for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice .I will ask the garage to check the points you raised.Would you think it reasonable to ask for an extended warranty to ensure no long term damage has been done?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would definitely ask and give the reason you said. The dealer may say no, in which case a call to VW customer services may give a result.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Agree.

They should also change the air filter and seal, plus the oil and oil filter, just to be sure. I would consider putting half a bottle of Redex Fuel Injector Cleaner in the petrol tank, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts