Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my Move Up! since May and have fallen out of love with it. It was fine at first. When I want to decelerate it doesn't so I have to anticipate things like changes in traffic lights to red much sooner than I ever used to. I've taken to driving aroundwithout using the accelerator pedal where I live and it happily accelerates up little hills and speed bumps with no input from my right foot. I've been back and was told it was all perfectly normal and I'd get used to it but months later am still not happy. I'll be wearing out my brakes at this rate!Anyone else noticed this?
Move up! Blue Motion etc

·
Registered
430 Posts
Had similar fault on our Golf it was throttle position sensor (whole throttle assembly is replaced it was all one unit) Has a VW tech actually driven your car and experienced the fault?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it in and they said it was fine - nothing wrong and then I got a lecture on high compression engines!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't know what the technical name for it is but the Up has a feature that lets you creep forward, in gear, at very low speeds without using the accelerator pedal.

This is great when stuck in traffic, if you leave enough room between you and the car in front; you can keep moving without pressing the clutch or accelerator repeatedly.

I suspect the garage personnel had this in mind when they spoke to you but they really should have driven your car. If you can go up hills etc without pressing the accelerator, there is a serious fault with your car, in my opinion.

Incidentally, all of the fuel injected cars I've driven have had theaforementioned'creep' feature (at very low speeds).

Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
114 Posts
@LuckyJimmy: I know what you mean, I have a 1996 Toyota Starlet that does this too. In second gear it even gets up to a reasonable speed when on a flat road, but it would never go uphill.

·
Registered
619 Posts
barryG said:
Diesels do this, but never had a petrol do it but hey maybe they do now!

Diesels do this 'out of the box' due the large amount of torque they have available at low revs. I've never known petrol engines to do this unless there was a fault or when someone adjusts the idle speed incorrectly (carburettor car).

In fact an ill adjusted idle speed, or fast idle speed, on a carburettor car is analogous to a faulty sensor on a modern 'fly by wire' car. I would have thought a professional mechanic at a dealership would have known this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi mate.i what a load crap from your dealer. Words fail me re thier explanations etc. advise them that unless they sort it you will take the matter up with vw uk who based in Milton Keynes. I know for a fact that they have a lot of control over the dealerships and are extremely zealous in maintaining the publics perception of vw. Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts