Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official.

Very nice bloke from the body shop has been round and looked, taken photos and will write his report to VW.

He agrees with me. Rusty!

Between the tailgate hinges and along the rubbers.

I now have to wait to hear from VW. They'll either repair/re spray or tell me to go away.

In case of the latter, I will be taking it back to the dealer and leaving it there!

What a shame. The first VW I ever owned with a paint problem. I'm sure it'll get sorted though.Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
540 Posts
IS it on your Groove up?

If it is, I further assume that your groove up is less than a year old?

Please keep us updated. Must say I don't think I've come across anyone with a rusty up! before!

Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fidel_Castronaut said:
IS it on your Groove up? 

If it is, I further assume that your groove up is less than a year old?

Please keep us updated. Must say I don't think I've come across anyone with a rusty up! before! 

Good luck buddy! 
Yup. White Groove Up. 6 months old.

I'm sure that this is a known problem because I remember hearing somebody else got theirs re spayed. It's a bit disappointing if I'm honest but will keep you posted.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok will try to get pics. It's difficult to see because of where it is.

Open the boot
Look at the paintwork between the hinges
Give it a clean and you'll feel any rust spots with your fingers
Then look at the rubbers at the top of the boot just in front of the hinges
Pull the rubber towards you and have a look along the edge

That's where the rust is on mine and it's obvious because it's white

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi just been reading about your rust ,you say it is by the hinges, it might of been some metal filings
Or something that has caused it ,but I wouldn't worry ,it will be sorted by VW the good thing is it's
Not metallic ,so should be able to match it in ,things happen good luck Regards Phill,,

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi,I've had the roof of our up resprayed as I found a hairline crack/rust spot on the weld at the back edge of the roof.VW agreed and dealer repainted it. Good service from body shop and know complaints.Only noticed it because I wash car by hand most weeks.Also I'm a spray painter so always pay attention to the paintwork.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Interesting to hear that they are sending pics to VW, have a similar fault on my golf. After speaking to VW customer services they advise that the dealer can decide if it is a warranty job or not and only need to send pics to VW if they think it is not or require a second opinion. On a 6 month old car you think it would be a simple Yes for this job. Good luck with your claim but remember if the dealer says no phone customer services

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike A said:
Interesting to hear that they are sending pics to VW, have a similar fault on my golf.  After speaking to VW customer services they advise that the dealer can decide if it is a warranty job or not and only need to send pics to VW if they think it is not or require a second opinion.  On a 6 month old car you think it would be a simple Yes for this job. Good luck with your claim but remember if the dealer says no phone customer services
Yes I was a bit stupid to do it this way round. I was in the dealer anyway and the service manager gave me the Bodyshop number. Thinking of it, I should have just shown the sales manager who is very good, but then I suppose he'd have had to get the same authorisation from VW.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The trouble is you do not know how long your car has been sitting in a compound prior to delivery - just outside Bristol there is a compound with 100s of new cars waiting delivery!!!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Seen that compound I would say thousands !

·
Registered
176 Posts
When cleaning the underside of the bonnet, at the weekend, I was concerned to see a number of copper coloured specks, similar to those when metal begins to rust.

I'll certainly continue to observe these specks on a regular basis, to ensure they don't begin to corrode.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The rust protection/paintwork has extended warranty over the normal one. I've read it on the manual from my other VW and Audi, check that!
Edited by: Hambert

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not good but not so surprised, it's a bad design that holds water above the tailgate rubber, it can't fully drain away.

Would we well worth giving this area a good clean, and a few coats of wax to keep the water away

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an update!

The car was in for its first service yesterday and when I picked it up they told me the rust had been fixed!

It polished off apparently. When they showed me, it has gone with no degradation in the paint at all.

I have no idea what this was but even the Bodyshop said it was rust. Evidently it came from the outside not the metal underneath.

Will give the area an extra polish and keep an eye on it.

Feel a bit embarrassed now after kicking up a stink over it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts