Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I am being stupid but when I turn off the ignition of my Up! I get a symbol beside the 'safe lock' which is like the little book icon referring you to the manual, but with an exclamation symbol inside it. Is this just some sort of warning that the safe lock is on and to remind me to read about it in the manual? The man in the VW garage said it meant an inspection was due but it had one in June and that icon was InSP. Any advice helpful as am in Germany with very bad German!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had this everytime i shut off the engine in my polo and now in the up . Doesent seem to do anything at all.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When safe lock is activated the car doors cannot be opened from the inside. So for example if a car thief breaks a window he is unable to open the door. The display is warning you that when you get out of the car and lock the doors safe lock is activated. It is not a good idea to activate safe lock if you are leaving anybody in the car as they will be unable to get out. It is fully explained in the manual and the icon is there to encourage you to read about it. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well my hands are up for missing that one .its puzzled me for years lol. Off to read manual !!!!

Question.... If you locked the car with someone in it would the seatbelt sensor not detect a body and disarm this as a matter of safety?

Not home for a few days but gota try this lol.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
With the key out of the ignition I assume all systems are inactive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Beevee said:
When safe lock is activated the car doors cannot be opened from the inside. So for example if a car thief breaks a window he is unable to open the door. The display is warning you that when you get out of the car and lock the doors safe lock is activated. It is not a good idea to activate safe lock if you are leaving anybody in the car as they will be unable to get out. It is fully explained in the manual and the icon is there to encourage you to read about it.
Thanks, Beevee, that's a good description.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The 13 plate Mii Sport I test drove have safe lock, however the 63 plate car we got has no safe lock.
The steering wheel compared to the car we test drove is different too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been concerned about this message also on my new Polo and assumed I had accidentally pressed something by mistake. I didn't find the Manual helpful, so have been trying different scenarios for the last while to see what actually happens.

If the car is locked from the outside (deadlocking the car) and someone is left inside, the alarm will go off after a few minutes if the person moves. However, if the button at the bottom of the driver's door is pressed (de-activating the deadlock), then the driver exits and locks car with key, while someone or perhaps a dog is being left in car, then the alarm will not go off if the person moves inside the car. If the person in the car opens their door, the alarm will not go off. However, if the door is opened from the outside, then the alarm will go off.

This enables you to leave a dog, for example, in the car and allows it to move about, but if someone tried to open a door of the car from the outside, the alarm will go off. The Safelock message is probably to remind you to press the de-activation button if you are leaving someone, or a dog, in the car. It has to be de-activated each time as it automatically re-sets to deadlock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The message is to tell you to put the steering lock on as per the manual. It does it on our qashqai. But it tells you as well on the dash

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry to have to disagree but Safelock has nothing to do with steering lock. It's all as Bigglesfish describes and is exactly what I was told by my dealer during the familiarisation talk during handover. It really is another case of reading the manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts