Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
This may not be for everyone but I am a bit of a sucker for gadgets and the way I see it if it’s saves me just one Sp30 or worse it’s paid for itself .
Very easy to fit and use comes with three different brackets to fit to dash but I made my own (see picture). There are two different models but I liked the Drive version with the Display .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do you pay a subscription? I know with the Road angel for example you pay a yearly subscription and is always up to date.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmm.I used to have one of these radar detectors built into my car permanently. They were not foolproof by any means although I guess they combine radar with the GPS location these days. Are they legal? They were originally deemed illegal under some obscure radio license rules but that was eventually challenged successfully on a point of law. Not sure what happened after that it was a grey area for a few years. I know 20 years ago we went for a long weekend to France and on the way back to Calais we were pulled over by a copper with a home made wire coat hanger and a battery coil and meter. Then taken to a police station , The radar tech was confiscated and I was fined 250 euro for owning one and 250 euro for having it switched on (Or being English in a big car)
Subsequent to that, all the speed traps were removed from Gps maps and tom tom etc in France. Then some one challenged the French under some euro law and claimed that if the cameras were there to enhance road safety only they should be designated a warning for a danger zone. The next updates for French maps on sat navs brought all the maps up to date with warnings of dangerous road conditions ahead 1 KM, so were back in business. Anyway best to check if they are fully legal especially if going abroad. Or you could do what I did and trained myself to try to obey the speed limits! Really interesting web site called speedcameras uk or similar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Clarke219
Hope this answers your question , for me I got no wish to ever go to France so will never effect me .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think they are a cracking tool (although I’ve never had one) most people are terrified of being stung by these cameras they concentrate on watching the speedo instead of concentrating on driving.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Looks neat!
Does it require the phone to have continuous mobile data service? (or does it just update its database over your home wifi every so often?)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Freemansteve
No it pairs with phone so constantly updating it also as a facility were you can report accidents etc so you can avoid.
There words ( very little battery drain of phone ) will update when I have used if for a couple of weeks .👍

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so it uses mobile data. Not for me then, as I'm PAYG, and the phone costs about £5 a year to run. Told you I was cheap!
Hi Steve
Like I said in my earlier post if it saves me one sp3 it’s paid for it’s self . But understand it’s not for everybody.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like it!

I hate using my phone on the dashboard; all that taking it on and off all the time, so the Saphe unit would solve that. It would not get past my CFO though :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hah! My CFO is not at all like that! And on the plus side, she's made a ton of cash for us, while I would've still been living in a caravan!

She's just on a bit of a drive (no pun intended) to reduce a small mortgage, so my toys don't help...

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's a Danish system and it works terrific here in Denmark. There are so many users of the Saphe app that the camera vans can barely park before a user passes by and reports it. I drive more than 20.000 miles/year in my job, always above the silly low speed limit whenever possible, and I always get warned in time.
We are going to get average speed traps as well, but the top of the line Saphe with display will tell you your average speed over the monitored section, so you can speed up to catch time, if you have been stuck behind a rolling road blockage, without exceeding the average speed.

Let's face it. Speed traps have all to do with revenue, very little to do with safety.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a Danish system and it works terrific here in Denmark. There are so many users of the Saphe app that the camera vans can barely park before a user passes by and reports it. I drive more than 20.000 miles/year in my job, always above the silly low speed limit whenever possible, and I always get warned in time.
We are going to get average speed traps as well, but the top of the line Saphe with display will tell you your average speed over the monitored section, so you can speed up to catch time, if you have been stuck behind a rolling road blockage, without exceeding the average speed.

Let's face it. Speed traps have all to do with revenue, very little to do with safety.
great post
Only just purchased mine but so far very impressed.👍

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it’s pick all the fixed cameras plus traffic light camera’s so far with out any problem will see how I get on

·
Registered
2013 Jaguar XF Portfolio.
2 Posts
Just purchased the Saphe Drive unit, very impressed so far, it seems to work quite well although I have not really travelled any distance yet due to lockdown restrictions. What I do like is the fact that the unit is small & discreet with no trailing usb cables etc & appears to use very little data, but again not used it for a long period of time, so if anyone can give an update on daily data use I would be grateful. I currently have it on a small magnetic vent mount. Not yet worked out how to report mobile, fixed cameras, accidents etc for other uses to benefit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts