Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered my up (nearly 2 weeks ago), but have found a similar spec car not too far away for sale at a main dealer 'ex-demo' (300 miles on the clock, registered in April 2012). Not the interior trim colour I wanted, but it's available now...

What sort of saving do you think I should be able to make on a car like this? It's currently advertised at exactly the (old) list price.

Also thinking about part-exing my old car (hyundai coupe) to save myself the trouble of selling it. Do you think this gives me more or less negotiating room?

Obsessing slightly about my impending up-ness now...

Ed

On the subject of the trim... anyone else wary of the lighter coloured upholstery? I can't help thinking it will look so dirty so quickly...

Edited by: edthedoc

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would doubt if you could get much in the way of a discount as the up! is in SO much demand. Shop around for other used ups! and see what they're for sale at and this would be your only really bargaining tool.

Having a part ex will definitely count against you as they will be lumbered with selling it or getting rid of it and they will offer you at least a thousand pounds less than it is worth.

Dealers know that their ups! WILL sell and aren't in any rush to offer discounts.

I sold my Alfa Mito for almost £8k privately - would have been lucky to get £6750 for it in a part ex. Selling privately may be more hassle but you could save yourself a grand!!!

Edited by: techwork

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I went for the dark interior for obvious reasons. A light interior I believe will get much dirtier quicker and might not clean up so well. But, it is personal choice at the end of the day!

If you are happy with the ex demo then go ahead, though if you are happy to wait you will bet your ideal spec.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are not in a hurry I would wait and get the car with the spec that you want.

If you decide to buy the demo car, you wont get much discount nor will they give you a good pt ex price for your Hyundai. If this is the case I would then haggle for the 3 years service pack, lifeshine, parking senor (dealer tofit) and a full tank of petrol thrown in for free. I managed to get all this for a cancel order Up! White (not demo though).

I also had the lighterupholstery- no problem with dirt at all as it has the lifeshine protection.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree... the Up! is very much in demand, therefore savings are limited. My dealer just said they can't offer discounts as they know the business is there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
kirstyr said:
I agree... the Up! is very much in demand, therefore savings are limited. My dealer just said they can't offer discounts as they know the business is there.

deals are definately available. As I've mentioned before wemanaged to getthe service pack, fuel, a litre of oil, bottle of champangeand carpet mats free, plus £750 more for our Fiat 500 than the local Fiat dealer would give us against a new 500. You just need to haggle hard and don't be afraid to walk out of the dealer without ordering! (although I do sell new cars for a living so have a slight advantage).

With regards to the ex demos the saving will be so small at the moment that imo theres no reason to buy one. Order the spec you want and sit back and wait. The weeks will soon pass!

·
294 Posts
The used car market is difficult at the moment so you may have to be prepared to pay a small fortune to AutoTrader and sit back for a few weeks until it sells.

·
Registered
120 Posts
However don't order until they put in writing which months allocation the car is coming from and comapre the answers from different dealers

Edited by: davidw

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your advice.
Hope it's OK to post figures....
I got them (Barnards Stowmarket) to knock £460 off the (old) list price (£615 off current list price).
As a 'used' car, I get two years free servicing by taking out £5k finance (hopefully costing me no more than about £105 when I clear the finance early), and I got them to throw in a set of mats and a tank of fuel.

So exciting!
Looks like my other half is now interested to buy the new one I have on order, but now I don't have to wait until July. I might even be able to collect it tomorrow!

Compromises made:
Light upholstery, which I'm nervous about long term. (Might have to get some covers)
No full size spare (but I can buy one elsewhere)

Positives:
I get the sports pack!

·
Registered
44 Posts
They seem more willing to give a "discount" if you take out a finance deal. They almost begged me to take out finance instead of just paying cash but it was out of the question as I had the money, wanted NO interest to pay and also wanted an excellent credit score for future mortgage applications. Even with a discount you couldstill be paying MORE for the car with the interest so.......

I managed to shave a few hundred off with a cash purchase. I've knocked THOUSANDS off of previous cars like Fords...do NOT expect to make these kinds of savings!!!!

Edited by: techwork

1 - 10 of 10 Posts