Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving into Newcastle under Lyme saw a Skoda Citigo in metallic green outside the Skoda dealer. Glad I did not wait, the side windows treatment looks very plain, and prefer the VW face as it looks more modern.up! all the way

·
Registered
525 Posts
Agree completely! They seem to have styled the car to look like a smaller version of bigger cars and have totally removed what makes the up! so distinctive. Cheap though!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Have to say I'd never even seen a picture of the Citigo so thought I'd take a look at them side by side and having done so, the up! is most definitely the classier, more striking and more eye-catching of the two.

I know they have to make certain cosmetic differences between them but I'm afraid the very square lines and "typical" car look of the Skoda don't do anything for me, I much prefer the smoother, curvier look to the up! and I think it's cute, cheeky grin is what makes all the difference.

Can't say I'm overly keen on the Skoda colour range either, even though it's a bigger range than the up!

Said it before and I'll say it again, the only way is up!

·
Registered
705 Posts
The 5-door up! will have a similar window line to the Citigo, as it drops the upward kink to the C-pillar. It doesn't look quite as good, but the rear three-quarters visibility should be better.

Nick

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well I am going to be a little controversial and say I think that the Citigo is still not that ugly and in some ways just a little more reserved looks but perfectly good alternative, but not in the nasty green colour..The Mii on the other hand is just not that nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The green is bad. Skoda have a thing for rather "striking" colours for launches, current Fabia was metallic tangerine, Superb maroon, and now this green for the Citigo.

I suppose its why we pay more for a VW, I will now duck for cover.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ooh, another one I haven't looked at yet, comparison time again.

Hmm, up!s got the grin, even the Citigo has a shy smile but the Mii has a very downturned mouth and I'm not struck on the headlight styling either.

That said, I don't massively dislike either the Citigo or the Mii, I just think the up! has so much more style.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I still would have had the Skoda, because I think in terms or quality there is no real difference and under the skin it is the same car except you apparently have longer waiting times for delivery, or so I am told.

Another thing I have been told by a client of mine who had a Polo from new and after 4 years went over to the New Fabia, just says that it seems like a much nicer place to be and the cockpit is just nicer and for a lot less you can get all the extra toys.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you haven't seen it already, my post in the General Message Centre titled 'High Up 75 Bluemotion' also includes some more details of up! vs. Citigo, following drives in both. You may find this of interest.

In last week's Autocar magazine, following a drive in a Citigo SE 60, they concluded the VW is worth the extra money due to superior ride and quality of some fittings - pretty much the way I feel after looking closely at both.

One slightly strange thing relating to the Citigo options - all the main pictures in the brochure show the car fitted with 15" wheels and although these are available as a factory fit option on the (mid range) SE, they are not available on the (top-spec) Elegance which is only available with standard 14" alloys!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Upmeister said:
One slightly strange thing relating to the Citigo options - all the main pictures in the brochure show the car fitted with 15" wheels and although these are available as a factory fit option on the (mid range) SE, they are not available on the (top-spec) Elegance which is only available with standard 14" alloys!
I can confirm that the 15" Auriga Alloy Wheels (plus temporary spare wheel) were made available as a £190 Style Pack 2 option on the Elegance at the very end of February 2013. I know because I have ordered one with these wheels and it will be here at the end of April, with a little luck.

Whilst the Seat Mii was a non-starter, I chose the Citigo over the VW up! because I didn't want a painted dashboard, I didn't want a black glass tailgate and I didn't want that front 'mouth' surrounded by the thin lips. I do love the big VW badge on the front of the up! though. Obviously I'd rather have been able to say that I run a Volkswagen instead of a Skoda but I think I can live with it.
I also chose a 5-door because I don't like the look of the kicked-up rear side window on the 3-door up! and I prefer the Skoda wheel offerings on the Citigo. However, I have to say that the nose of the new VW up! GT looks fantastic!
It's a pity I didn't have time to wait for the VW Cross up! though as I might have been able to overcome my doubts over the looks of the ordinary up!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Each to their own I suppose. I think the Citigo and Mii are a bit bland and prefer the distinctive looks of the Up personally. I've got a 3 door and a 5 door and honestly can't decide whether the kicked up rear looks better or not - I think they both look great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts