Up Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know it's only minor, but I'm well annoyed with myself... I took back wheel off to paint drum and wrench slipped and scratched my wheel..... Tried to buff it out with solvol, but no success..... Is this a laquer coating over the wheel.... If so I suspect it will be compromised.... If it's not lacquer I could maybe remove it with some fine wet and dry, but don't want to make it worse..... Cheers 馃憤
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

Registered
Yes, it's laquered, quite a thick coating.

Registered
2021 GTI
Difficult to judge but it might compound out? Need to be careful not to compromise the lacquer. The wheels are diamond cut, as I understand it they're sprayed gloss black all over then the faces are milled - the silver is the actual alloy of the wheel - then lacquered. You don't want penetration through the lacquer and especially not over the silver, as corrosion will quickly set in. I lazily used the wrench in the factory tool kit rather than look for a socket and have taken the paint off the bolt holes.. twice!

Registered
Just touch it up with a clear lacquer touch up pen to seal the wound. This will prevent any corrosion setting in . Done it on my wheels and all is good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts