Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I managed to put a dirty great scratch on one of my wheels when the protective cap fell off my cleaning brush.
I see halfords do some wheel spray paint. Is it all the same sort of thing? Ie silver....
I guess I just need to mask the scratches and spray them and then lacquer over the top?

I'm just interested in protecting the wheel from corrosion rather than removing all traces of the scratches.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks, AlexEdited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
438 Posts
Is it bad enough to get the refurb man in?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on the inside of the wheel and each scratch is straight and comes about half way out to the edge. One of them is big enough to catch on a finger nail 8o( will see if I can get a pic in a while.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pics of my stupidity.. I have looked at repair kits. Do I need filler? I don't want to rub loads down, I just want to protect the wheels whilst trying to make them look better.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Get it done properly at a wheel refurb place for about £40 a whee if it bothers you massively.

Getting spray paint from halfords won't match well with current colour!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Anything from halfords will be crap! Just put some clear nail varnish over the scratch or if your really bothered like elfy says get a wheel shop to look at them or maybe just a alloy wheel wax/sealant may do it?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may pick up a kit tomorrow that has filler, paint and lacquer. I can have a play. i may just try the paint and lacquer. Our golf has major scuffs, so I can use the rest to have a play on those as they are old. I guess if the job on the up looks bad, then at least the wheel will be protected until I get it done by a pro.
Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Wondering about trying this?

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's a 20 min refurb job £40. Needs rubbing down paint and lacquer Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
222 Posts
Will never get a good match on it. I don't think you need to protect it as its not gone through that much.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(Update) got a kit. It was rubbish and the wheel still looks just as bad.
I also did some repairs on the golf that were large gouged out kerb damage. These looks much better after my work.
I guess the up wheel looked so good, any blemish is not easily hidden. The golf wheels are old.

If I take it to a pro, what would they do to it? I assume they would not blast the whole thing and re spray. Can they fix this sort of thing in the local area of the scratch, and would it be noticeable? I'm trying to work out if its worth looking into.

Thanks 8o)Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
222 Posts
A painter will be able to do a local repair but that may work out more expensive than just getting the whole wheel blasted and powder coated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts