Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just found out after 15 months of using our high up that the second fixed door key only unlocks the drivers door the boot stays locked is this correct?It will lock both doors & boot ok.Is there anything on vcds?Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You have made me wonder now. I will have to check later. If the boot stays locked how can it be opened as there is no keyhole ?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to use the remote key or climb in the back & put the key blade in the tailgate release slot .

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Sounds like it's a 'valet' key, designed to be given to valet parking attendants, so it's only designed to open the door and start the engine. It's not meant to open the boot as the valet has no purpose being there.

Although from the latest update, it would appear not the case. I've certainly had cars in the last with a valet key, my last Lexus also had facility to lock off the glove box and the remote boot release, and the valet key wouldn't operate those things either.
Edited by: shakotanVIP

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just checked my up! Locked car using remote key Non-remote key unlocks doors AND tailgate!
Re-checked by locking/unlocking car alternately (lock with remote/ unlock with non-remote. then opposite.
In all cases, tailgate gets locked and unlocked.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Just did the same thing Peter. My spare "valet" key locks and unlocks all four doors and the boot.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My spare key also opens both doors plus tail gate, it has too, tail gate is on central locking, never heard of a valet key in 35 years of motoring?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
My spare key also opens both doors plus tail gate, it has too, tail gate is on central locking, never heard of a valet key in 35 years of motoring?

How many times have you used valet parking in those 35 years?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have had cars in the past with three keys. The third being a valet key which only unlocks the drivers door and starts the car. If you have never owned a car with a valet key it is likely you would not know of the existence of one regardless of how many years you have been driving. The originator of this thread appears to be describing his second non remote key as a valet key. This is not my experience as my second non remote key operates all locks. I suggest if you find your second non remote key does not operate all locks you should seek advice from your dealer as there may be a fault with the central locking. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
52 Posts
I work for Bentley and they provide 3 keys, one being a valet key and the other 2 for all doors, never heard of one with any other cars though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Have the people with this "valet key" got a 2nd remote key aswell, just a thought

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have just sorted my problem with the fixed key.The remote was set to single door opening on the first push,second push opens passenger door &boot.So I changed remote to single push to open both doors then the fixed key will follow the same sequence.
Summary
Remote single push opens all. Fixed key does the same.
Remote double push opens all. Fixed key drivers door only similar action as a valet key.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Glad you have sorted it out. I did wonder under the old setting if once in the car you could unlock everything else using the unlock button on the drivers door.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
uphu said:
This valet key is for honest valets.
I've no idea what you are saying. Are you saying some valets are dishonest? Are we paranoid about trusting someone else with our car? Still would like to know if the unlock button on the drivers door would open the doors after using a key which only unlocks the drivers door.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Beevee said:
uphu said:
This valet key is for honest valets.
I've no idea what you are saying. Are you saying some valets are dishonest? Are we paranoid about trusting someone else with our car?
Bentley owners can get a key with something like this in mind (see the post above.)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry we must be living in a parallel universe.

·
Registered
604 Posts
but if you can still open the boot with the drivers door lock/unlock button than this would be pointless

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Exactly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts