1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I am buying a second hand VW UP. I have 2 options:
1- VW UP 2012 75cv - Manual - 140.000km - 4000€
2- VW UP 2015 75cv - Automatic - 110.000km - 5000€

I am a bit unsure about the Automatic Gearbox! Which one should I get?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Manual!
Works sweetly and less to wrong, cheaper to fix.
Auto is not auto like you may be used to - it's basically a manual that shifts gears for you using solenoids and a CPU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual!
Works sweetly and less to wrong, cheaper to fix.
Auto is not auto like you may be used to - it's basically a manual that shifts gears for you using solenoids and a CPU.
Oh I understand. So in any case the ASG won't go well or will be fault in auto mode, couldn't I just switch to SemiAutomatic mode, and use the gearbox myself, and have it to work well again? Or if it will fault in auto mode, will also fault in semiauto mode?
This would be my first automatic car

·
Registered
776 Posts
I know how they work, but have not driven an Up with one - I have had cars with similar systems though.

Many people have argued here, but more so on the Briskoda/Citigo forum, that they like the ASG and have had no problems. On the other hand there are few who have had bad problems which have been hard to diagnose and expensive to fix. It looks like, on balance, the ASG is less reliable, but I don't know of any "big data" that proves this.

You need to try before you buy!

The Up manual is very easy to use, but if I really wanted an automatic (my last car was a "proper" torque converter automatic) I'd look at Hyundai/Kia.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts