Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having already ordered a white Move Up (which we're very much looking forward to getting) I was also considering chopping my 3.0tdi Audi A6 Allroad in for a 1yr old Golf 2.0tdi

When I thought about it further I realised the Golf isn't very much bigger than the Up & it's certainly a lot more dull. Plus the Golf would be £17k for a year old pre-owned car. That got me thinking so I plumped for an Up Black - all the kit for a new car less than £12k! We'll be a  "two Up" family (hence the moniker ;)

Frustratingly, I've been trying to order this car for 4 days now but this has proved difficult as the dealer has yet to secure a guaranteed trade-in price for my Allroad (given the increasingly long lead time for delivery of the Up).

In the meantime I have got the colliwobbles...

Is the downsize from my Allroad to the Up a jump too far? Can I bear the interminable wait for two cars? So I had a look at alternatives (always dangerous) and I can pick up a yr old 1.4tfsi S-tronic Audi A1 for £14.5k

Same Audi premium feel in a smaller package. Not quite as frugal as the Up but not far off and the 122ps engine scoots along to 60 in 9 seconds. 119gm of CO2 keeps road tax at £30. Of course it would be more money and pre-owned is also one for the debit column but then no 3 month wait. Trade in would be simpler too.

Of course this is the Up forum so I'd expect some bias. At the moment I'm still thinking Up Black but worried that I'll find it just too basic...

All opinions welcome!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suppose the real question to ask yourself is how many long trips will you be doing and what passengers etc willytou carry.

We have a High up! and a Golf V 2.0 GT Tdi. The Golf is considerably larger, can take proper luggage in the boot and seats 4 people in comfort at the same time, fuel economy is slightly better than the up but diesel is more expense and the price differential btw petrol and doesel seems to be growing. Whilst the up! is a good drive and does feel pretty solid on the road the Golf certainly feels more substantial and cruises effortlessly on the motorway which I fear the up! will not match it will just not have the lungs to do it.

I too looked at an A1 but the insurance and general running costs far higher than the up! and pretty similar to the Golf ( insurance groups both in the mid 20's) and for me the Golf was the winner due to space.

I am very happy with our combination, love the up! but there is a reason the Golf is so popular its is so good at so much. Maybe have to wait for the Golf VII next year, new platform and should be even better!

·
294 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was about to trade my Audi A4 avant for a slightly newer audi A3 but then still had to pay road tax and MOT and premium servicing bills. So i decided to look for a VW golf tdi however i was disappointed with spec it only had A/C and thats it for 17k. I went to trade in and they were offering really low price for the audi.

After i good think i worked out it was cheaper for me to get a new small car and keep the audi aswell. insteadof getting one basic car ill have two top specced vehicles one for work and keep the audi for long distance trips.

The VW Up! is perfect. good resale, fully loaded and very cheap on fuel and insurance.
Im waiting for my Up! to come but at the same time i still have my A4 for now

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the Allroad 4 years but now both my kids are independent & driving. They'll be insured to drive the Move Up and my wife and I will be insured for whatever car I drive. So for my car the insurance band is not a significant issue as we're both full no claims & late 40s! Now the kids are largely independent we don't often drive very far as a family unit and on the odd occasion we do in future we can drive two cars! So in essence we no longer need a big family car. It costs an arm and a leg to run too! Additionally we're moving from the country/burbs to townhouse city living. So I definitely want to downsize. Options really are Golf/A1/Up.

I'll watch the vids thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
For my two bobs worth I can tell you we went from a 2ltr beetle which we used to drive between lancashire and catalunya down to a Deawoo matiz 800cc 3 cylinder!!
We weren't happy with the economy of the beetle on short trips and the need to travel to Spain ended!
whilst we did notice the lack of acceleration everything else, quality asside, wasn't an issue. Its supprising how much you take pleasure in a drive when you don't want or can't get into the dash for the next available space on an over crowded motorway 3rd lane.

We covered thousands of miles in the short time we had the clapped out Matiz! biggest journey was from our home in Colne lanc's down to Minehead and the little 3 cylinder motor chugged along happily all day at a steady 80mph.

I wouldn't hesitate to set off for Spain in the UP! and I can tell you the boot is FAR bigger than I remember the beetle boot being! plus we used to fill the rear seats with luggage in the beetle anyway.
The last time we went down to Spain last Sept last year and that was in a Prius ! Oh dear what a journey that was. Not a frugal way to travel with 4 adults and luggage for a month! it was cheaper with 5 in a Mondeo Titanium diesel.

I'd have a serious look at the percentages of how you will be using the car. Don't get a car fit for the 2% of the time it will be full!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hiya,
just my opinion,son has golf gti which is fab, and going away this w/e in it.Nice to know have comfort,speed etc. BUTCan't say what difference is as still waiting for my up! but my husband worked for audi and do know that finance permitting we would of always had an audi or larger engine golf for those longer trips. BUT each to there own and have to say when I had a Fiat cinqui, was great nippy and got me where we wanted to go. Even if when we went to cornwall all shouted "lean forward spread the load" SO can't wait for my baby to arrive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We're fortunate to have both a Golf 1.9tdi Match and the up. The up is fantastic for what I want it to do, which is mostly running around town, but without doubt the Golf is much better for the longer journeys where speed and comfort are slightly more important than economy. Friend of ours has just bought a brand new golf over the internet (sorry - can't remember which site but not Jamjar) and managed to save around £5k over the local dealer price so worth looking around. He also got all the bells and whistles too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would say wait and hold on to the Audi for the time being and see how you really get on with the Up!. Perhaps in a few months time the lead times on a new Up! will be a bit shorter.

I am keeping my Audi Quattro, owned from new, it has been faultless in 6 years and is a hoot to drive. If it wasn't for the 26mpg and tyre munching then I wouldn't be buying an Up!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The A1 is a lovely car (looked at myself) but would pay more for insurance and petrol. I haven't got my up yet but would think the A1 would be better on longer journeys. I think the up is fantastic but would be slightly worried about the big change in car classes you are thinking about.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am going from a Boxster S to the up! Happy to make the change as the running costs for 10k miles PA was high, inc all the servicing and depreciation etc.

We were just going to buy a Take up! then a Move up! Bluemotion, after playing around with extras, plumped for the High up! Maybe less chance of collecting points too!
Edited by: 911sse

·
Registered
23 Posts
Go for the A1.Its got the detail of your big Audi without the running costs, also I guess it will have longer legs than an Up,that's unless your waiting for the up GT.The Up is a great car but not good enough to have two in the same household.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Up! wins on cost of purchase and ownership and that's it.

In every other way the A1 vastly outclasses the Up! As it should as it is in a class or two above the Up!

At the end of the day underneath every Up! is an £8k city car. The A1 is a fast, sporting hatchback with steering, suspension, performance way beyond VW's baby.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have a Golf GTI & an Up! to restore some balance to the universe! The A1 is a nice car but really only a Polo in disguise. Have you considered a Polo Match 1.4 DSG or SEL 1.2 TSI? You could get a new one for the price of a used A1 and have 5 door practicality. There are also some good deals on PCP too which I think they've done as the Up! is stealing it's thunder! Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts