Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is looking to buy her own Up! as its not been convenient sharing one with her sister. At the moment there is an attractive looking offer whereby VW dealers are offering 2 year warranty and 2 year servicing as an incentive. It ends on Sunday and if we don't sort one in time I wonder how often they float such offers? I would say that the dealers we have been in touch with seem very keen to supply.

Any intelligence would be appreciated - thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Nick,
The usual Das Welt arrangement for used cars is 1 year warranty, 1 year roadside assistance and no services included. Someone on here mentioned they had got at least 1 service included with their package after negotiation, so it looks like there is a bit of wiggle room on that front, but I have yet to hear of any 2 year packages (other than on new cars). Then again, these are very peculiar times, car dealers basically haven't sold anything for 2-3 months, and I suspect VW, as well as all the sales people (who, remember, are mostly paid on commission, so their lockdown/furlough must have been excrutiating), are now desperate to shift the backlog of cars in their queue. I certainly can't promise anything (no insider info), but I would suspect there will be more of these deals, although only if cars don't shift fast enough to meet sales quotas. Have they upped roadside assistance to 2 years as well?
Obviously the 'value' of the warranty varies depending on the age and condition of the car, as well as your preference for dealer maintenance over your local garage. Over 2 years you'll need 1 major + 1 minor service, which is £538 at a VW dealer (according to their website; a bit less on a service plan), before any wear-and-tear parts. Having the warranty means you can chuck it back at them as many times as you need to get problems fixed; it also means you are tied to them (or another VW dealer) to get a problem solved, including paying for any parts they decide come under wear-and-tear (plus a few excluded big ticket items, like the cambelt, and a £70 investigation fee if they decide the fault isn't covered by the warranty). Ultimately, that decision can only be made by you and your daughter.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Good answer from Plancast. My local dealer is desperate to sell me a new (newer) car, take my UP, offer ends at the weekend............everybody is trying to kick start some business. If you're ready to roll, like the car and happy with the deal, then do it. However, if you're starting your buying journey (rather than finishing) then don't be rushed, plenty of deals to be done in the current climate. Trading standards control 'timed offer' deals, they have to be REAL, so dealers can't fudge or extend (but they can come up with a different but as attractive deal) ENJOY !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much Plancast and North London Mike for your super helpful responses. I really appreciate it.

The basic deal is that provided you take out a minimum of £5,000 finance (we really don't want that but never mind.....) and commit by this Sunday the dealer will include 2 years warranty (has to be good for us), 2 years breakdown cover (not fussed as we have it), 2 years MOT cover (not altogether sure whether I should be bothered about this as our 7 year old UP! has never been an issue at MOT but I'll take it) and the next 2 services. On a car costing around £6,000 I feel that these incentives are worth having. Of course it works if its the right car at a fair price. We might have found one but I am just sorting out whether the dealer will include the missing car nav.

I would say that the dealers are very tenacious and hungry to make a deal and of course given Plancast's explanation above I completely understand and respect it.

Thank you again and whilst I might not be a regular on this forum I do find it interesting and very helpful.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The finance is where they make their money..................good hunting, send us a photo when its done 👍😎

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes and I understand that she can pay it off very early which would be the plan.... My daughter is mainly buying the car and has worked hard to have saved up for it so I am keen that she gets the best one she can. Chasing a couple today but I notice that the value seems to get better the further from London you go. We travelled from just outside London to Ipswich for our current Up! and it was well worth the effort.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oddly it always seems that whenever buying a car the most expensive ones seem to be the nearest! There is a nice one in The Wirral but I just don't have time to go quite that far!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Correct. We travelled (admittedly only 30 miles) to Lincoln for our last 3 Ups, but markedly better deal than anywhere around us. Current Tsi & Gti were new, one ultra low mileage Tsi demo car..
That was after enquiring around the country for the new ones. Nowhere else could get close, and then they threw in a load of extra goodies too ! (They'll need prompting, so don't forget those when negotiating).
Items such as mats, boot liner, mudflaps, touch-up stick, brolly, and if it's a model with Maps & More, or a series two model with the phone cradle in the centre of the dash, a USB cable.
All go to make a deal much sweeter.
You're buying at a time when the dealers are desperate to sell, so make hay while the sun shines., and be prepared to get up and walk out if you don't think they are being generous enough. I'd urge you to go for the newest, highest model your budget will allow, and most importantly, look at those priced £500 to £1000 above your max budget, as you'll be surprised how low they'll go, and there will be some great deals to be had.
Good luck and report back to us when the deal is done !

Reactions: Nick29

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you 911ts3 for more great advice! I am about to go up a notch on the VW site and have a go!

·
Registered
384 Posts
One more, less pleasant, point to make. When I was car hunting last spring, my dad joined me on the first viewing/test drive (at a non-VW dealership, outside the area) to get a second opinion. The salesman didn't look at me when he came over to greet us, addressed only my dad, and looked positively annoyed when Dad immediately referred him to me as the purchaser. It went downhill from there, and it was not at all difficult to walk away from them. He was not there when I visited other dealers, including the VW one where I bought my car, but there was the same, although less blatant, awkward backnote of 'dealing with a woman' (somewhere between 'how do I talk with this alien creature' and 'easy pickings'). So, while I hope your daughter has a good and successful negotiation experience with whichever dealership you choose, be aware that your presence (as a man with car buying experience) is likely influencing the offers they make (think they can get away with), possibly in your favour (much as it pains me to say that).

·
Registered
692 Posts
My daughter had a similar experience with our local dealer (and she's in her late 30's !) A kn*b of a youngish lad who despite what she kept telling him, seemed not to hear her. After an hour she walked out. It was one of the reasons we went to Lincoln (apart from the price difference), the attitude was completely different, and they couldn't do enough for you, listened to what you didn';t want, and advised & presented accordingly. So they're not all a*seholes, just a lot of them.

Reactions: plancast

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These accounts are really disappointing to read and its a real shame that sales people can be so ignorant. My daughter is a teacher and is 23 on Sunday and I would really like her to be involved in the process as its her car and money. If we don't settle on one this weekend and it's looking unlikely now then I will get her involved as she will break up in a week or so. I will note the reaction carefully and won't put up with any nonsense. To be fair my wife bought our current Up! from Ipswich and the sales people there were really good.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's hardly limited to sales, or cars, but at the end of the day a process driven by strict quotas and short-term targets is going to attract those who only see the £££ over your head, not the benefits of building a good relationship (and the repeat business it can bring, which is often more profitable in the long term). Anything perceived as a weakness (and here I would include any cultural bias, not just being female) is seen as a way to get more money out of you. Add in (particularly at the moment) the real potential for job losses, and you get a toxic mess. I am glad to hear from both of you that there are 'good eggs' out there. The best way to encourage change is to vote with your feet/money, so seek them out and support them!

Reactions: Nick29

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A fairly frustrating day Up! hunting on line. All the Ups that we were interested either had sat nav missing when it was meant to be there or were sold whilst advertised as for sale. Most sales people tried to help well and a couple a bit rude and patronising. Interesting experience and we keep going :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Correct ! Don't give up and get disheartened, there are plenty out there, and you'll get a good one !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes thank you and we will find one. I saw the Up! that we bought 5 years ago appear on line and phoned up and placed a deposit down immediately. It has been an excellent buy, good to drive and very cheap to run but everyone here knows that 😀

·
Registered
146 Posts
These accounts are really disappointing to read and its a real shame that sales people can be so ignorant. My daughter is a teacher and is 23 on Sunday and I would really like her to be involved in the process as its her car and money. If we don't settle on one this weekend and it's looking unlikely now then I will get her involved as she will break up in a week or so. I will note the reaction carefully and won't put up with any nonsense. To be fair my wife bought our current Up! from Ipswich and the sales people there were really good.
Hmm I'll lend you my wife to go along to do the deal, she destroys car salesmen! When we bought her current VW Tiguan the youngish salesman said she was the hardest negotiating customer he had ever dealt with :LOL:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All help appreciated! My only issue is that I think it may be easier to have an audience with the Queen than to talk to a VW salesperson...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts