Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have perhaps an irrational fear of my centre hub caps on my summer use silver classic alloys and my wheel trims on my winter steelies being stolen or falling off, which I doubt they would. Both are so easy to pop off with nothing more than a screwdriver so I was wondering if there was a way of securing them. The full cover wheel trims on the steelies can be secured with appropriately coloured tie wraps that look awful but what about the centre wheel hub covers. They all have a tiny little hole just beneath the centre bit of the W, what's that for as it doesn't seem to facilitate in their removal or anything? Any suggestions, solutions or ideas out there in Up! land or am I just paranoid? Cheers all and keep it Up!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The little hole is to facilitate removal using the removal tool supplied.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't know what could be done to secure the hub covers, short of using super glue or something. I would hope that these items would be quite cheap to replace if stolen etc. They are of little use anyway to anyone who does not own the appropriate style/colour of wheel (unless there is another 'craze' for stealing VW badges).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You hit the nail on the head there, the craze for stealing VW insignia. I'd completely forgotten about that one. Oh no, now I'm really worried, seriously. This will be my first VW, are the front and rear VW embellishment easy to pinch? To enable me to sleep easier in my bed at night I think I'll remove it myself, attach a chain to it and secure it around my neck. Seriously though has anyone had theirs nicked?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The removal tool looks like a paper clip that has been straightend out. I haven't seen any posts on here about anyone having them pinched. They are £45 for a set of 4 if replacemets where needed. I don't think that they would fall off as there is spring clip on the back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my silver classics with black centre hub caps from a seller here on the forum but didn't get the little tool. I've tried all sorts of tools to see if this hole could somehow be used help remove the trims but gave up trying and resorted to my eBay purchased plastic, pry bar type trim removing tools. I'd love to see a pic of one, the official tool that is.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've removed mine a few times when washing my wheels and the are pretty tight to remove with the tool so I don't think they will just fall off as for pinching, it's never dawned on me! Its a reason for me not to buy the black centre caps because some jelous owner may think o I want those instead of my white ones! In the tesco car park!

On my old golf they had black rubber/plastic covers over the nuts and someone pinched 1 of them I went to tesco and happened to park next to another golf also with one missing, I said to my Amy hmm shall I knick one? I didn't because it wasn't right, after my shopping the ******* had only pinched 5 off mine so I jad 6 missing off my car haha in the end I took them all off!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I think I could fabricate one of those out of an old wire coat hanger then its down to Tesco car park. I didn't realise it would be such a scrawny looking thing. You know, Volkswagen being Volkswagen and all that, If you could buy one of them little tools from them I bet you wouldn't see much change from a tenner. As they are such a tight fit, I think the centre hub caps falling off can be ruled out but we'd better watch out for those 1987 Beastie Boys fans or other VDub owners who've had one nicked. You always see an odd full wheel trim leant up against a lamppost hoping to be reunited with its owner. Is that through them falling off or being curbed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have just taken delivery of a new High Up! To match one I already own.
Within 5 days the centre hubs were stolen off two wheels.
Really annoying and £35 a pair.
Can't really afford for this to happen too often!

Cheers all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Itzben said:

Uno removal tool!!
Bit of an old post revival.

If you haven't checked yet, make sure your trim removal tool is there.

Had to go and "rescue" my wife with a flat tyre this week. The trim removal tool was missing from the spare tyre/jack moulding!
Luckily I had my toolkit in my car and had something that worked, kind of.

Went to the supplying dealer and he took one out of the showroom car for me ( I wonder if that car will have it replaced.... )

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi all I made one ,just got the right size long screw driver and left a good 1/4 inch and bent it with a vice it's really good and gives you Moore leeway especially if it's tight hope this helps and the gentleman who had his trims stolen just get good ties from a good motor factors you can get silver ones some people say they look a mess well I don't think so if you get the silver ones it's better than loosing then regards phill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts