Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there Uppers!
So I might be getting my very own Up! soon, and I was wondering if it is possible to make the boot open by itself as you press the button on the remote? Maybe by putting on bigger piston lifters? I want to know if anyone has tried something like this?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Blackpuppy said:
So I might be getting my very own Up! soon, and I was wondering if it is possible to make the boot open by itself as you press the button on the remote?

I guess anything is possible with enough money but as far as the remote goes it only "unlocks" the hatch the same way it unlocks the doors (it doesn't pop them open). Edited by: vwild1

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
vwild1 is correct, the remote doesn't completely release the boot lid, you still need to press the button on the tailgate to release the electronic lock completely.

I can't really see the point of a remote opening boot anyway, presumably you're opening it to put something in or get something out, so you'll be in the vicinity of the lock button regardless.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Personally I would not like the boot to pop open every time I sat down in my living room with my keys in my pocket, at least if it dose not pop open it can lock itself again after60 seconds or so

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I was just thinking that it would be a nice gimmick :p
Can see the problem if you have your keys in the pocket the wrong way or something.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Some technical boffin must have thought the same thing because my mother in laws audi dose it, don't now how they got around that problem I have never asked her

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi all. Usually cars with self opening boot lid/5th doors, normally require you to press a button on the boot, or as some of the newer cars have, a sensor in the rear bumper, that you can wave your foot across if your hands are full. No doubt it is possible, but as others have said, it's all about the cost.

Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pressing the middle button on the remote, unlocks the boot. Pressing the same button for 3 seconds, releases the lock and pops the boot open a bit. So experimenting with some stronger gas lifters (?) might make it open fully by itself.

·
Registered
95 Posts
wolle said:
Pressing the middle button on the remote, unlocks the boot. Pressing the same button for 3 seconds, releases the lock and pops the boot open a bit. So experimenting with some stronger gas lifters (?) might make it open fully by itself.
Yup,, Good luck closing the boot though

Edited by: karlak

·
Registered
705 Posts
You'd probably end up flipping the poor up! onto its roof, just like a beetle, with its wheel uselessly clawing at the air, doing its dying fly impression.

Nick

·
Registered
467 Posts
Gas lifters should have a bit harder pressure and have different mounting points to open the lid from different angle.

this could be a good mod to take off button atrearand de-badge everything from trunk lid

·
Registered
467 Posts
I did it for my ex Golf4 GTI, but there it was just a question of higher pressure gas lifters.Haven't seen such mod on Up yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting video, I'd be interested in buying a kit like that for the UP if it existed because my mother has a white-UP but struggles a bit with opening the boot due to arthritic hands.

It's her only niggle with the car (loves it) so it'd be good to solve the problem with something like this.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Interesting thing about this, you don't have reprogram the car.

Let's try...

For example...

When standing at the back of the car press and hold the boot button on the key.
This will unlock the boot and release it away from the catch.

Therefore we need to research poppers and the lifters..
Edited by: gary02tdi

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I so need that!....subscribing to this post....lets hope it is possible with our ups

1 - 17 of 17 Posts