Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

The "INSP" warning has come up on my dash, so it appears time for a service.

I have bookmarked a thread by Tom (don't know how to tag) with a fully comprehensive guide on how to service the up! which is sterling.

Only things stopping me from servicing the car my self are a few things which I need your input on:

• Will it effect the possibility of resale? Will car dealers have a second thought about part-ex etc if it's not got an official service stamp?
  • Where can I buy a kit/all required replacement parts to carry out the service?
  • Is it easy enough to bollock up? I'm rather amaetur at working on cars still and the up appears to be.... interesting in some maintenance fields
Thanks all!

·
Registered
164 Posts
From previous experience regards resale/px when servicing was carried out by an independant, even though they say that you can get servicing carried out through an independant ( as long as genuine parts are used), from my experience when part exchanging, it did make a difference ( even though it shouldn`t). I would trust a quality independant any day over a dealer, as long as you have proof of the work carried out & receipts, i can`t see what the problem is. Dealers do like to give you the idea that they are whiter than white & their servicing is the best thing on the planet:rolleyes:.

If your not sure on servicing it yourself ( & not confident), then take it to an independant.( Age of car? still in warranty?).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Resale. Depends:) any car I've traded in they've never even asked.
Private buyers tend to fixated on dealer history. Not me! As Above I would trust an independent over a dealer every time.
Also depends on how long you intend to keep it. Say 6yrs+ I'd say zero difference. If you have meticulously documented the maintenance it may improve resale. If not value, saleability.
Opieoils do service kits.
YouTube is great for tutorials.
You'll need a scanner to read codes and reset the service indicator.
I'd trust myself or a reliable independent over a dealer. But tbh all I do is oil changes because I tend to halve the change frequency and it's so easy and cheap (although one of my other cars takes 13 litres of pretty expensive oil:-(

·
Registered
303 Posts
it depends really, I would say it would negatively affect resale value, but since an up's are 10 a penny and common as muck today anyways, its all subjective.

The only reason to trust someone self-servicing their own car is if they are an enthusiast and you are able to see that they have their own garage and are passionate about their cars. The UP doesn't really fall into that category, so trust your instincts.

All you can do is service to the MOT level. the MOT is quite stringent nowadays, so just ask for a full MOT when buying anything today. worst case you will have to buy a new engine on ebay for £300 anyway!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Much as I'd like to do the servicing myself, I only have access to on-street parking and cannot work safely, so I have to speak from working on other family cars over the years.

If you're concerned about procedures, I'd start with the minor service items. The to-do list is comparatively straightforward (mostly visual checks and topping up fluids, apart from the oil change). Parts can be obtained from your local dealer's Service department if you want genuine VW items, or (given the tasks you're likely to be doing), any good car parts store (they'll be happy to advise once you provide make/model or licence plate details). From previous experience, and working through a selection of YouTube videos for the Up!, the bit most likely to go wrong is getting the oil filter off - and if you damage the filter in the process, but can't remove it, you can't drive the car to get help. Bit of forward planning needed on that one, then. According to the manual, reading the brake fluid level max/min lines is also a bit tricky, but otherwise it's a pretty straightforward car and much of it (particularly things like air filters) are a doddle. Perfect learning tool, in fact!

If it needs a major service (things like spark plugs, belt changes, etc.), your local independent garage may be willing to do just those additional tasks for you (depends on your relationship with your local garage - well worth finding one you trust). Tom's manual is excellent, especially in the absence of a Hayne's guide, and we'll do our best here, but if you have someone local you can call in a pinch, probably not a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
  • Will it effect the possibility of resale?
Thanks all!
Yes, pure and simple. Doesn't matter how competent you are or aren't as people want to see receipts. Your garage might be useless but if it shows an invoice for a service with parts used then that's what people want to see when buying.

As someone else said there are plenty of used Ups out there and yours will be the last looked at. If you don't care though and are planning on keeping it until it dies then go for it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I service all my cars myself, going to an indy for more involved work like timing belts, clutch changes etc. I'll have a new garage built soon so more space I might even do those myself too.
I keep receipts for parts bought noting the date and mileage on the invoice when fitted, I tend to buy cars at 3 years old and drive them for years by which time a main dealer history is unlikely to have been kept up to date by many owners.
I am fastidious about cleaning and polishing all of our cars so they look much much fresher than their years. The last 2 family cars we sold, the buyers both commented that they knew thwy were going to buy the car as soon as they saw them.
I trust what I do to my cars, when it comes to selling buyers still like a sheaf of invoices showing that a car has been loved and maintained.
If I bought new and sold within 3 year warranty period I would have to seriously consider the desireability of a stamped FSH but to me it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I bought new and sold within 3 year warranty period I would have to seriously consider the desireability of a stamped FSH but to me it doesnt matter.
This put into words what I was thinking for ages. Surely if I have got receipts then it should be decent enough for a 7 year old up! on 62k.

I might have a poke and prod about soon, just to make sure I am comfortable working on it myself, and given that goes ok, will go for a major service pack!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello everyone, sorry to bump:

The car's been serviced! Everything went decently, bar one thing: spark plugs.

I've got three fresh spark plugs waiting to go in the car still, because I was unable to remove the ignition coils without feeling like I was about to tear the rubber, break the coil, or pull the whole engine out of my car.

I attempted to use silicone to no avail, and the furthest I got was pulling the top off the rubber boot.

If anyone has any info or tips, let me know, as I don't really fancy running these spark plugs for another 10,000 miles. Alternatively, if they happen to have a longer life than 10k, let me know, so I don't have to stress so much about upsetting the car and who ever it goes to next.

Cheers!

·
Registered
384 Posts
The official recommendation is change every 40,000km/4 years/~25,000miles, so if you know when the current ones went in that should help you decide how critical it is to get them out now.
Apparently there are things called boot pliers to deal with exactly this situation:
As I haven't had to do the plugs myself yet, I'll pop out after lunch and see if I can see anything obvious to suggest.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I service all my cars myself, going to an indy for more involved work like timing belts, clutch changes etc. I'll have a new garage built soon so more space I might even do those myself too.
I keep receipts for parts bought noting the date and mileage on the invoice when fitted, I tend to buy cars at 3 years old and drive them for years by which time a main dealer history is unlikely to have been kept up to date by many owners.
I am fastidious about cleaning and polishing all of our cars so they look much much fresher than their years. The last 2 family cars we sold, the buyers both commented that they knew thwy were going to buy the car as soon as they saw them.
I trust what I do to my cars, when it comes to selling buyers still like a sheaf of invoices showing that a car has been loved and maintained.
Once a car gets past a decent age and isn't of certain provenance then it doesn't really matter too much.

I used to service all my cars up until the last couple and that's only because they came with warranties that require it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts