Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<DIV =nos id=post_message_11138225>I am being told by our VW dealer that unless we have our Up! serviced at VW the warrantee would be invalid. Its about 15 months old and was serviced by them (as a demo car) in April of last year. Its due a service soon (at 10000 miles). As our son is a mechanic at BMW and is perfectly capable of carrying out such work I fail to see how they can insist it goes to a VW garage for what I'll guess is no more than an oil change and wash....

<DIV =nos>

<DIV =nos>Are they feeding me a line?

·
Registered
540 Posts
As above. When I had my Alfa I grew tired of Alfa ripping me off so I went to a private garage that just used OEM parts for less than half the cost for labour.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are both correct. From advice from another VW forum I was told to quote 'block exemption' which covers the 'rules' of servicing and warrantee.

The service guy near [email protected] himself as soon as I quoted 'under the 2010 block exemption ruling...' OE parts with proof of such keep it under warranttee - he's off to tell service manager to stop quoting 'untruths'
I fully understand the need for genuine VW parts though.

I mentioned also that £232 was a bit steep for an oil change and wash and said they would do it for £149, which I dont mind to keep it sweet. My local spanner jugglers would need £80 plus the VAT so an extra £50 isnt an issue*

(the irony being my most recent servicing bill of £5300
)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nice resolution. Have to keep on your toes with these people as they're effectively just after your money. I feel sorry for the folk they do catch out when they economise the truth like this.

Good work mate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I
guess a 3 year service plan at£383.76 isn't bad value then. Less than £130 a service.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I got the plan chucked into the deal (after I negotiated!) however, I'd used all three services up by 13 months!.......40K service (which includes stuff like new plugs, pollen filter etc etc was £239 all up) some extra brake work cost me a bit more

·
Registered
53 Posts
As I only do about 6000 miles a year I don't think I will have that problem.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
scuba_2903 said:
As I only do about 6000 miles a year I don't think I will have that problem.

I wish!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Probably less than that. My 3 year old Yaris that i will be part exchanging for my UP in a few weeks probably wont have reached 16,000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts