Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the up a month now and very pleased with 1 minor exception. Every morning and if you've left the car for a while the car mists up inside badly to the point where it takes minutes to clear. The a/c is generally on and there doesn't seem to be any leaks in the car that would result in dampness. Anyone got a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This topic has been done to death in several threads. On cold mornings the windows will mist up and will take three to five minutes to clear. I normally find while I scrap the ice off the windows the misting will clear and I am ready to drive off. If you expect to jump in and drive straight off on cold mornings you are expecting too muchEdited by: Beevee

·
Registered
296 Posts
Only real problem with misting was today - BUT two very wet adults and a 5 year old got in the car. About 1 to 2 inches of water lying on the urban motorway and you could hardly see for spray. Fan on at 3 - air onto screen and a little to the side vents [i.e. control at 2 o'clock] and occasional use of A/C and it stayed clear. No worse than any other small car I have had in such foul weather. After dropping adult and child - did next couple of miles with fan on full and air directed to feet to try and dry up the wet foot prints before I parked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keenie said:
Hi Check out "wet on the Inside" thread on here, then watch the video link, it may answer your questions.
Thanks for the pointer - mine is only a minor problem compared to the guy on youtube but irritating none the less.

BTW - Beevee, thanks for the helpful and positive reply, good to see senior members of the site providing help and support when asked a reasonable question.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No problem Dobson. A little extra tip is the use of the search function on this site will often bring positive and helpful advice.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I bought a dehumidifier for my up - basically a bag of salt set in a cradle into which the moisture drawn from the air is dropped. I used to have saturated inside windows. However, i've recently removed the dehumidifier and although i have the aircon button on all the time (as i did previously) now i'm not getting any excess water. I don't understand why the water saturation has stopped - although i'm obviously pleased. This whole issue is weird.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beevee said:
No problem Dobson. A little extra tip is the use of the search function on this site will often bring positive and helpful advice.

Will make a point of seeking your helpful and constructive advice next time I have a question.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've donethe exact same as AlanG, which doesn't help now that its going to VW next week to be told its "normal" or "every up has that problem"
mine's no where near as bad as the guy on youtube either but yeah, I completelyrecommend buying a dehumidifier if its really bothering you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
HI. I was having same problem and bought from Morrisons a £2.99 Moisture Mate made by Tetrion. Its just a small plastic box filled with crystals and i put it on passenger seat. I then bought some Rain-x from halfords and used on all inside windows. It does make the windows a bit smeary but I'd rather that than sit waiting ages for screen to clear. I dont have any problems at all now and the other morning I set off and it was really cold and wet outside but didn't even need to use the blower.
Hope this helps. x

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is a problem with moisture build up which VW are not acknowledging. I've had 2 UP!s. The first one was terrible with extreme condensation but the second UP! (changed from 2 door to 5 door) does not have the same problem!!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm trading my up in for up number 2 in 3 weeks so I'll confirm if the problem has been resolved on the MY14 models.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Good to hear that you folks didn't consider the "problem" too significant to prevent you buying another Up!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Check the seal around the A/C piping in the engine bulkhead - see pics elsewhere.

Leaving a window cracked slightly opened while the up is parked seems to also help - unless in a downpour

Once it's humid inside, the main issue is to get that humidity out again.

If the misting clears with more ventilation or AC , you're still OK.
Check carpets for wetness. If these are wet, you have a real issue.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Our Mii is slow to clear compared to previous cars, but that is the downside to a thermally efficient petrol engine. Heat is a by-product of combustion so the more efficient the car, the longer it will take to defog.

However am I alone it thinking the windscreen vent is pointed towards the passenger side as that side clears first. Not great on a RHD car!!!Edited by: mii al

·
Registered
296 Posts
As posted in another stream - dropped in to see my dealer the other day [for a chat and to fill in 10 minutes before another appointment] and mentioned the misting. Response was that affects all of VW range to some degree or other because they are so well sealed. Agreed with my custom of driving last few miles home with air directed to footwell, fan on 3 and window open a crack to remove as much moisture brought in on my feet. If carpets are wet however it is essential to go back to your dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts