Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Do any of you have issues where when you are idle at traffic lights the Up shakes a little. I can feel it through the drivers seat. Mine is off to the dealers to investigate but I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and if so what was done to fix it. It would really annoy me if I was stuck stationary for a time.

Many thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've not really noticed, but it could be the 3 cylinder engine if you aren't used to it. They have a different vibration profile to 4 cylinder engines. Generally with the Up, it gets smoother with more revs. If you are concerned however, I should take it to the dealer and get it checked out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
davidbir said:
Do any of you have issues where when you are idle at traffic lights the Up shakes a little. I can feel it through the drivers seat. Mine is off to the dealers to investigate but I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and if so what was done to fix it. It would really annoy me if I was stuck stationary for a time.
In case you forgot, you bought a car with a 3 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FYI, I've recently driven 4 UPs and in all but 1, the vibration through the chassis, into the seats and a bit more via the trim (door and gear stick surround) is noticeable but tolerable and is to be expected from a 3 cylinder at idle. This has also been reported in the press reviews (in Germany anyway).

It seemed to be more noticeable after the engine had warmed; my thought was that the idle revs seemed to be reduced by the engine management, leading to more vibration. You can play with the throttle at idle and see that even a small increase in revs reduces the vibration.

One vibrated so much that it was like sitting on a motorbike and was not very pleasant; there must have been something wrong - perhaps too low an idle or an issue with engine damping. The non-VW garage didn't have a clue but agreed it was too much. Shame because that car was quicker and louder than any of the 75PS examples I've driven!

·
Registered
171 Posts
With the up! I test drove, I thought the vibration of the the accelerator pedal was going to be tiring on motorway stretches, but thankfully it wasn't an issue ""“ either the vibration was only when the engine was cold, or it was just easy to get used to.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My up vibrates at idle when the engine is cold. But when normal running temperature is reached, then idle becomes smooth.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
AlanG said:
My up vibrates at idle when the engine is cold. But when normal running temperature is reached, then idle becomes smooth.
Every engine would do this?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Normal for a 3 pot engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xpug said:
FYI, I've recently driven 4 UPs and in all but 1, the vibration through the chassis, into the seats and a bit more via the trim (door and gear stick surround) is noticeable but tolerable and is to be expected from a 3 cylinder at idle. This has also been reported in the press reviews (in Germany anyway).

It seemed to be more noticeable after the engine had warmed; my thought was that the idle revs seemed to be reduced by the engine management, leading to more vibration. You can play with the throttle at idle and see that even a small increase in revs reduces the vibration.

One vibrated so much that it was like sitting on a motorbike and was not very pleasant; there must have been something wrong - perhaps too low an idle or an issue with engine damping. The non-VW garage didn't have a clue but agreed it was too much. Shame because that car was quicker and louder than any of the 75PS examples I've driven!
Thanks for this very useful information. Mine is more like the Motorbike example you explained above! The dealer is going to take a look for me.

Many thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
The vw up can sound like a bag of nails on idle when the engines cold (and ambient temp is very cold) and wobbles with the best of them with its rough and unbalanced 3 cylinder tick over.... I would have been worried about this but for the fact that I used to Marshall at many race tracks and found whilst providing fire cover in the pits that even the best race tuned engines, when cold on idle mostly sounded really terrible, clackety and tappetty... As did the drive trains too.

However if yours is really bad it's worth taking it to your dealer, better be safe than sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts