Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I learned to drive 23 years ago, it was practice to always move sequentially through the gears. However in the last few years the cars I've driven state in the manual it was quite acceptable to jump gears I.e. slowing down for a traffic light, often go from 4th to 2nd breaking in between as I match the speed to the gear, or quick acceleration from 2nd to 4th. Now, reading the up! manual it says you must sequentially shift, even if clutch pedal depressed for the whole time. I'm trying to remember but am not sure why necessary. Strikes me the clutch ends up being depressed longer than necessary, effectively coasting when slowing down. Does anyone else sequentially shift?

In addition another quirk in the manual suggests you must release the handbrake before pressing on the accelerator. I would normally release the handbrake down, clutch up and accelerator down, pretty simultaneously, especially as I often do hill starts. Is this harmful?

Can anyone advise on either issue?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would just drive like you have done for the past 23 years - I suspect is only a guide..........

·
Registered
583 Posts
VW teaches skipping gears and coasting out of gear in their eco-driving courses .

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The Institute of Advanced Motoring teaches block changes. It reduces wear on the gears, means you spend less time with your left hand off the steering wheel giving more control, and your attention is on the road ahead, not stirring the box. So it's safer and more efficient.

Basically I do what you do.

I was originally taught sequential shifting, and the instructor didn't mind me using the engine to brake. I've since learnt better. The basic driving test used to (still does?) teach basic control, but not the best technique, even for ordinary drivers like me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
With regards to the handbrake.. Even if your on a hill.. If you press the brake then put it into gear then release the handbrake then find the bite and go.. The car doesn't roll for 2 seconds.. I noticed this when at a junction I pressed the brake then I released it because I was going to go then I went to press the brake again and I could feel it wasn't letting me press the brake.. I'm not really explaining this very good as its too early.. But try pressing the brake release and press again.. You'll see what I mean!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have skipped gears for the past 15 years, it was what I was taught when I learnt to drive, and its what I continue to do now... I have done it in old cars, and new cars without any problem at all...
I also do this in my UP. Its far more economical to get up to the required/safe speed and then skip a gear than to go through the box...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
_1S_ said:
VW teaches skipping gears and coasting out of gear in their eco-driving courses .

That would surprise me, coasting is illegal.
Coasting downhill is inadvisable, but not illegal as far as I know. You do not have control of the car, and you use more fuel. (In gear downhill the engine burns little or no fuel, when out of gear it burns fuel to idle over.)

The IAM taught me to coast under certain circumstances. For example when approaching a roundabout, declutch, brake to get to the right speed to approach the roundabout i.e. not too fast, but fast enough to merge if possible, change to second, and then release the clutch. You then either brake and come to a halt, or you merge into the roundabout. Second gear gives you plenty of grunt if needed to get clear of hazards. I think that is the sequence, it is hard to think what I do when not in the car.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi all. I also "block" change, and have done so for years. Also the Hill Assist is a handy tool, and I don't do anything that the "guide" says.

Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for replies. I resumed block changing once I'd seen a couple of replies. Much less time with clutch down and so surely safer.

First time tonight with windscreen wipers on, they seem a bit loud, though it was only light-medium rain. Just all new to get used to.
First use of main lights too- my husband's fiesta shows a green dipped light on dash for normal light, nil on up! just high beam. Think

VW missed a safety trick there.
Overall though still loving my up!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Goldfive. The only indication that the dipped beam headlamps are on, is on the light switch surround. As you correctly pointed out, the full beam indicator is in the speedo.
Thespeedo light brightness changes with varying light levels If the speedo is bright, it indicates thatmain beam is required as they are connected to a light sensor. If they are dim, then normal daytime running lights are ok.

As for the wipers, they should become quieter with use, as they wear, but it will depend on the amount of water on the screen.

I hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
124 Posts
"If the speedo is bright, it indicates that main beam is required"
I don`t thing so maybe the dipped headlights is what you meant .

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
M4796P said:
Hi Goldfive. The only indication that the dipped beam headlamps are on, is on the light switch surround. As you correctly pointed out, the full beam indicator is in the speedo.
Thespeedo light brightness changes with varying light levels If the speedo is bright, it indicates thatmain beam is required as they are connected to a light sensor. If they are dim, then normal daytime running lights are ok.

As for the wipers, they should become quieter with use, as they wear, but it will depend on the amount of water on the screen.

I hope this helps.

Matt

You have that the wrong way around, the speedometer lights fade out to indicate it is getting dark and therefore you need to put the headlights on. The rationale behind this is when it is dark and you can't see the speedo, it acts as a reminder to switch on the headlights.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi ShakotanVIP. Yes you are correct. I did post this late last night, and I was very tired. No excuse I know, but I'll have a strong word with myself later!

Matt

·
Registered
583 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
_1S_ said:

That would surprise me, coasting is illegal.
Not in our Belgian Highway Code, nor in the German one.

I haven't come across it in the UK Highway Code, can you give me the number ?

Besides :

New VW DSG7 automatics are coasting / can coast.

BMWs ZF 8 speed box will do it in its upcoming version (all cars but the Z4).

The Toyota hybrids do it, they will coast with the engine off if you know how to trigger it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Goldfive said:
First use of main lights too- my husband's fiesta shows a green dipped light on dash for normal light, nil on up! just high beam.
The up! will dim the instrument lights if your lights aren't on when they rather should be on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts