Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys does anyone know , do these cargo ships dock in more than one port in the uk or is it just the one port and then the cars are transported to various destinations here ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm pretty sure for the North, they dock at Tyne or Grimsby.. at least thats where i was told mine came from one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
yeah the only one i heard about was grimsby... to be honest, i dont mind which port mine comes into long as it gets to me ASAP!

·
Registered
54 Posts
VW dealer in Hexham says Sheerness,
Grimsby and Tyne dock will all be used depending where the car is going to in UK. The VW media site says " special feature of the Emden plant is the port of Emden, which is located in
the immediate vicinity. Each year, about one million vehicles are shipped to and
from Emden. Ships leave the port for North America and Japan several times each
week and consignments are shipped to Great Britain almost every day. The
vehicles to be exported are mainly transported to Emden via train. Up to 200
rail cars reach Emden every day. A platform system is used to unload the
vehicles which, are then loaded onto ships in the port. " Looks like most ships used are VW specific but can only be tracked from Emden by checking arrivals at UK ports websites.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How can I track my car, it's been built and is in Germany somewhere. Can I find out which plant it was made at? Can I track it's journey to the port then the ships journey?and the truck this side?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I tried lots of links but only found those that would track only cars to Australia or USA. Only thing I could do was rely on dealer info regarding car status.. built..left factory ..at Emden.. on ship list and watch Emden port website for likely ships to UK. Thec Emden port website shows the ships next port so looking for Tyne, Sheerness or Grimbsy which ever is neare to your dealer. They seem to run almost daily, Lots of boats are called CITY OF Sunderland/etc. It was a real pain not to be able to track the car... maybe VW will allow access to their status website.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts