Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i went to test drive the up! I had driven it precisely 45 yards by the time I knew I was going to buy it. In fact I hadn't even driven out of the dealership's carpark. I actually told the salesman sat next to me that i had made up my mind already. I know many people will say never play your hand and look too keen as it will be harder to get a discount. However, i just wanted to end the test drive so i could start negotiations. Anyway, the salesman seemed stunned and convinced me to at least drive it down the road which I did. But like human relationships, you just know straight away when it's right don't you? Can anyone else claim a shorter test drive? Did anyone buy their up! without even driving it first?Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
228 Posts
I didn't take one, decided on looks and review plus the costs.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I test drove the up! But I didn't the new beetle. I don't see it as necessary, every car drives slightly different and you get used to the differing drives very quickly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I test drove an Up! the day after trying a Fiat 500. I was massively disappointed by the Fiat, such that I knew I couldn't buy one. The Up! was lovely, I pretty soon into the drive I'd decided I wanted to buy one. If only VW had been as keen to sell me one

·
Registered
727 Posts
My dealer gave me the car for a couple of hours to test drive but like you I was pretty much sold before I actually got the thing completely off the lot.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'd had a 2003 Polo before, and wanted to take a look at the up! at the same time as trying a newer Polo, if I hadn't liked the up!. I'd already tried the Configurator and had decided on the specification of the up! I wanted, but I was interested to see what the latest Polo was like. I went along to a dealer in Spalding and tried both, the Polo 1.4 Match first, then the up!. I was keener on the up! because it was a small car, though I did like the repeater indicator lights in the door mirrors of the Polo - easily pleased by small surprises.

I went to Stamford the next day and placed my order for the up after getting a much better deal on the trade-in for the StreetKa. Then the three-month wait.

Nick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having a 2005 Lupo 1.0e,which I've had from new,as soon as I sat in an UP! I knew it was the car to replace the Lupo,so when I ordered one I didn't take a test drive.I also tried a Fiat 500 and didn't like it at all,I was shocked at how cheap it felt compared to a VW. My husband did take a test drive when he bought his Polo gti but that was because he had a Seat Leon FR and being 6' foot 2 he wanted to see if he was comfortable driving it.He loves it and is now a total VW convert!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I test drove both an up! and a Citigo and I am now looking forward to my extended 2 year, 50,000 mile test drive, starting in October!

For me a test drive is just the start of the experience of a new car, but an important one nonetheless. First impressions are important and hopefully impressions that are confirmed every subsequent day of ownership.

My father, like some on this forum, are happy to choose a car based on the deal they can do - he used to sell cars - but for me it's all about the car and it meeting my needs.

I was gob-smacked by the up! from the start of the test drive - in the words of PrivateDoc, it does indeed punch well above its weight - far,far above it's weight.

Even though I plan to keep the up! for 2 years before passing it onto my kids, I'll be first in the queue for a test drive in the GT up! next year! Hopefully it will be as good as I hope and it will mark the start of my next automotive experience.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
As soon as I sat in it, I knew it was the car for me... The Maps and More was simply an unexpected amazing bonus!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts