Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,
Just been informed that my job isnt safe and my department is under review (work in the council) it seems that its my fault the country is doomed.

I have paid £100 deposit and we are due delivery early Dec 2012.

A - Should I keep the order and keep my fingers crossed?

Or

B - Should I cancel, keep running my old and tired car? If I keep the old car(MGTF) , I will need to change brakes, exhaust and hope the gearbox stops leaking oil. Plus its a convertable and I live in the north of scotland.

If I cancel is anyone able to tell me what me rights are?

Cheers for your help...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I had a Tiguan on order a while back and after evaluating our needs, changed to the up...we had a 500 deposit paid and our dealer (Ingrams of Ayr) basically let us transfer it to the up, no problems

I think you could cancel but lose the deposit. However I'd argue they would have no trouble selling the up so tell them the sob story and ask for it backEdited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
851 Posts
It can only be a personal decision. If you team or dept is put at risk only you know your standing in the team/dept and the chances of survival. Many of my colleagues have been put at risk and I dare say my turn will come. I decided to push on with my order because even if I do get made redundant then I will still need a car to go to interviews in. If you're buying your car outright then all good. If you will have monthly payments, then another option is a payment protection policy. Good luck, I hope you survive the cull.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
One point to note is the cost to refuel, insure, MOT and maintain the MGT. If you live near work, fuel is not such an issue. In my case the yearly savings paid for the Up.

Try and find out how much redundancy you will get if made unemployed, savings you have etc, and that will tell you how close to the edge you would be come the worst. Also you might want to look into alternative employment. We all found out we might be made redundant, and come the actual notice, we had all got job offers anyway, so we sailed into new jobs with redundancy payments. But we were lucky. Hope you survive the blood letting, sorry, right-sizing as they call it these days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Slightly off topic. I know the up! is a great car however is it the right car forthe north of scotland?
If you are looking to upgrade your vehicle would not a small 4x4 be more suitable? Dacia Duster in 4x4 guise can be purchased for a little over £10k new.

Unless you have significant savings for a rainy day I would definitely cancel the order in the circumstances of financial uncertainty andwrite off the £100.

Any new job you get may come with a company car. Where wouldyou stand with the up then?

I have calculated that our up! is saving us £950 a year in running costs compared to the vehicle it has replaced (2004 Renualt Megane). However there is the matter of depreciation and assuming £2000 a year for 3 years then there is a netannual cost of up! ownership of an additional £1050. Although there wouldprobably be around £400 a yeardepreciation on the older car it replaced so this nets down to an actual extra £650 a year but for this we have a brand new car and 3 years total piece of mind. And what value can you put on this?

vup rider

Post message edit:- we have the high up! model with sports pack at around £10900. If you are getting the cheapest up! at £7995 then the depreciation costs over 3 years could be significantly less at maybe £1400 a year and on this basis we would be almost at break even cost wise compared to our old car.

So maybe you should carry on and get the up! if you are ordering the base model?

But it depends on whether you are using finance or not to buy the car. If you are using finance I would still say forget it for the time being as the regular payments will be a worry.

Edited by: vup rider

1 - 5 of 5 Posts