Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Could anyone tell me what type of bulb is used in the side indicator repeaters and if there are any alternatives available in silver or something similar. I hate the fried egg look of indicators and have sorted the fronts and rears to Phillips SilverVision, it's just the side repeaters I'm bothered about now. Cheers all, Jon.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You can replace the whole unit with a VW Carravelle one, which is clear. That's what I have done, however I used some knock off ones from fleabay, and now that have water in! Haha.
If I remember rightly, the stock repeater units actually have an orange lens in them, so it's more than just a bulb change, but the Carravelle units do just the trick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave, fleabay, I like it, the worlds biggest flea market. Thanks for your message, I'll check out those Carravelle ones. I thought the side repeater units were clear with a yellow bulb but I may be wrong. I'll need some bulbs too, not the nasty yellow ones but some like the Phillips SilverVision. Do you know what size or type the bulbs are? I haven't got my car yet but I'm well on with getting extra bits and pieces for it. Cheers, Jon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ian, I've bought Phillips SilverVision for the front and rear indicators but I don't think they are the same type of bulbs in the side repeaters. Are your lenses clear or yellow?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Here we go, standard side repeater:

And standard bulb:

Believe they are 501s? So the lens is orange, but bulbs are white. So nice replaced them with orange bulbs, in a crystal unit. You can't see the bulb, just the clear lens.

I have something like this : http://bit.ly/YmXBiEEdited by: Davec86

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Dave, they look a strange set up. It looks like the actual unit lens is clear but with a yellow lens type thing within it, the clear bulbs then shine through it. The clear lens and yellow bulb combination as you say looks like the best option. That is, unless you can get those 501's in silver or something like that.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yea, there is like an internal lens that's amber. With the type in the link I posted, you can't see any amber at all. From any normal angle. They completely fit the bill, for me anyway.

·
Registered
462 Posts
jonwilliams40 said:
Hi Ian, I've bought Phillips SilverVision for the front and rear indicators but I don't think they are the same type of bulbs in the side repeaters. Are your lenses clear or yellow?
Oops sorry I though you ment the indicators but look like you have it sorted now lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts