Up Owners Club banner

Skoda Citigo v VW up!

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Manacee 
#1 ·
When I took my up! White into the dealer this morning for a checkup, I did a double take because I spotted what I thought was another up! on the forecourt.

On closer inspection though, it was a Skoda Citigo, so out of curiosity, I had a furtive look...

It's pretty much identical inside, complete with M&M although the outside varies a little more with straighter rear windows and a less pretty 'smile' than the up! but all in all, I much prefer my lovely little VW up!

I think the Citigo was aspiring to be an up! too as it was lurking on the VW forecourt rather than the Skoda dealership over the road!

See less See more
#2 ·
Skoda is much more colour sensitive than the up, looks good as a 5 door in certain colours but why have cava when you can have champagne !

#4 ·
Best of all, when you shut the door it sounds just like a golf !

#6 ·
Not in uk yet, can sell all they make....Citigo add is very odd...communication device? Eh?

#7 ·
Hmmm I thought that about their ad. I had to rewind it to take another look. You don't really get to see too much of the car.

It's nice I know that VW don't need to advertise. Keeps the people not in the know looking, pointing and asking "what's that?"

#9 ·
Elb said:
Incidentally, I've seen the latest ads for the Citigo, but I've never seen any advertising for the up! whatsoever. Was there ever a campaign?

I saw the ad twice (I ordered mine on the basis of one ad) but that was ages ago. Presumably they've stopped it because what's the point of wasting money on advertising when the up! appears to be selling itself!

#10 ·
Elb said:
Incidentally, I've seen the latest ads for the Citigo, but I've never seen any advertising for the up! whatsoever. Was there ever a campaign?

I've finally finished watching Homeland off the box and noticed the tv ad during an episode.

It was all about small being the new big and had flashbacks to an 80's phone, 80's boombox, 70's sideburns etc.

It had no mention of the car and no pictures of it until the very end where there was a picture of a white take (I think) up!.

Rubbish advert, great car. Like has been said, I think they must've pulled the advertising as it's a waste of money. I'm not seeing any ads for umbrellas but I bet they are selling like hot cakes (and no ads for them either!) at the moment to.

Brilliant show to, a slow start but got going really well after 4 or 5 episodes but (spoiler alert!) unravelled a bit in the final episode to make way for a second season.

#11 ·
The local dealers have brought some Seat Mii's for test drive to our offices. I went to check up on one yesterday as i was mistaking it for an Up! aswell... But have to say VW stands for better quality, you can really feel it even if the exterior might be almost identical (the Seats front end does look a bit different though).

Can there actually be that much of a difference between the different brand versions of the same platform?

#12 ·
are the materials different?, does vw spec more sound deadening panels? who knows......perhaps its just our perceived brand differences. there is no doubt in my mind that if the actual parts are different, there may be a quality difference but where the bit is the same i.e. door panel etc it would be folly to have differing parts.

I seem to remember most parts in the past were stamped VW/audi/seat into the plastic but I think its all just stamped VAG now.

#16 ·
ZillUp said:
The local dealers have brought some Seat Mii's for test drive to our offices. I went to check up on one yesterday as i was mistaking it for an Up! aswell... But have to say VW stands for better quality, you can really feel it even if the exterior might be almost identical (the Seats front end does look a bit different though).

Can there actually be that much of a difference between the different brand versions of the same platform?

No - esp' on cheap cars like these where every cent counts. There is no qualitative difference across the 3 cars so I do not understand how you can feel the difference.

Essentially VAG have developed a platform that they have tweaked very slightly across 3 brands each with different consumer followings. This ensures maximum penetration across the whole small car market.

Marketeers - clever people!

#17 ·
Marketing....The devils profession!

delivery for us getting closer VWXYZ build next week! yippee

#18 ·
Elb said:
Privatedoc said:
Best of all, when you shut the door it sounds just like a golf !

Actually there was a very brief campaign. Most people have never even heard of the UP when I mention it, but when I show them what one is they all like it. I am somewhat wishing I had opted for the Citigo just because of slightly less cost and it is not a bad little car and I actually like the front end.

#19 ·
citigo ad was on 3 times last night here in Scotland during country house rescue and the hotel inspector

there always seems to be an increase in car and insurance ads in july despite the new reg being sept rather than aug nowadays.

#20 ·
ZillUp said:

It has to be said, when it comes to the quality of the plastics Seat are not great but Skoda seemed to have had access to the top shelf stuff which is great.

#21 ·
tweeter1980 said:
It has to be said, when it comes to the quality of the plastics Seat are not great but Skoda seemed to have had access to the top shelf stuff which is great.
I do wonder about this given that they all come out of the same factory. I suspect people are comparing the bottom end Skoda against a higher end UP, as per a review posted above, not a fair comparison. The Up is not a top grade car, and there are some lower end plastics but overall it is very nice.

#22 ·
Leif said:
tweeter1980 said:
I do wonder about this given that they all come out of the same factory. I suspect people are comparing the bottom end Skoda against a higher end UP, as per a review posted above, not a fair comparison. The Up is not a top grade car, and there are some lower end plastics but overall it is very nice.

You say that but the Octavia is beautifully put together and in my view a better interior than the Passat.

#23 ·
IMO both are great little cars - I tested both. Fundamentally they are, of course, the same - but there are small touches all over the car and throughout the range that favour the up! - for example the instrument faces and LCD screen are more basic in the Citigo, as are the wheel trims.
The Citigo costs less though, so it's a case of the individual deciding whether the extra initial cost of the up! is justified. I'm sure neither will disappoint.
I thought the up! worth the premium, so that's what I ordered.

#24 ·
Dan said:
Is this the advert you spotted?

[TUBE]YWRaV-OIYFM[/TUBE]

Have to say I was a big fan of homeland as well
Looking forward to the next season now

No, it was the second one with the fella that looked a bit like Will Ferrell. Never seen this one.

Took a few episodes to really get going but excellent stuff. Claire Danes was magnificent in it. I wonder if the final episode was re-written mid-season to make way for a second season?

I'm guessing we'll see the rise of Brody politically and after a rocky few episodes for Carrie, Saul will force David Estes and the new president to have her reinstated to the agency once she regains her memory of the relationship of Brody to Abu-Nazir's son. Where they'll take the other six episodes I don't know. Hope it's as good as the first season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.