Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished washing the car there and whilst manoeuvring at very low speed, I’ve noticed a creaking noise from the steering wheel. It doesn’t occur on full rotation but does so at the same point from left to right if that makes sense. I haven’t tested it at higher speeds but it’s the first time I’ve noticed it. Any ideas chaps?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just been out there...can’t say I noticed it but with road noise etc it’s harder to tell. Definite creaking when manoeuvring into drive though. Can’t tell if it’s coming from the metal section of the steering wheel or further down the column.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Is it on full lock (or almost) as my car makes a bit of a noise then.... but I'm not sure it's from the steering column.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m going to go out and try and record it...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw that but I’m not sure it’s the same sound. This sounds very much within the wheel as opposed to the rack.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no idea why that vid is upside down. Note from the video that the noise doesn’t happen constantly or even consistently. Strange.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. I’ll read over your thread again.

Edit: sounds like a whole load of hassle you’ve been through. I wouldn’t be bothered with that as Arnold Clark won’t be much better. I’ll simply wait and see if it develops into something more and at that point I’ll have it looked at. With the radio on, I can’t hear it tbh.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds exactly the same as ours. only got worse. Random on the turn click/creaking.
Just watched your video and yes, definitely the same noise but yours is a lot louder. I reckon I’ll cancel my remap in case this becomes a more obvious issue for me and I start having to visit the dealer for remedial work. Where are you now with yours in terms of a resolution?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just watched your video and yes, definitely the same noise but yours is a lot louder. I reckon I’ll cancel my remap in case this becomes a more obvious issue for me and I start having to visit the dealer for remedial work. Where are you now with yours in terms of a resolution?
Seems to be fixed, but as i said in my thread, there is a very slight creak from it now,but nothing like before (doesn`t happen when the steering column is pushed up to the top though).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ll definitely keep an eye on it. It seems to be the sort of thing you almost want to be pretty noticeable before going to a dealer.

I’m due to get a remap in a couple of weeks but uncertain as to what to do now. If my steering issue was to worsen is that the sort of thing the dealer would start plugging their electric equipment in for it is it purely mechanical?

I just don’t want a situation where they claim it’s as a result of extra power being added etc.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news, I adjusted my steering column a fraction higher from the lowest setting it’s usually in and no noise. Fingers crossed it won’t return. The general manager in Halfords text his mate in a VW dealer and amongst a few things he suggested as being the cause, one was a bearing in the steering wheel. As I say, hopefully it won’t return in this slightly higher setting.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Good news, I adjusted my steering column a fraction higher from the lowest setting it’s usually in and no noise. Fingers crossed it won’t return. The general manager in Halfords text his mate in a VW dealer and amongst a few things he suggested as being the cause, one was a bearing in the steering wheel. As I say, hopefully it won’t return in this slightly higher setting.
That's good news Marty84, sounds like it could have been a universal joint on the column that might have been the cause. If it comes back you could try a bit of grease on this joint.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's good news Marty84, sounds like it could have been a universal joint on the column that might have been the cause. If it comes back you could try a bit of grease on this joint.
Unfortunately it was short lived...still a slight noise - where is the joint on the column exactly? I do think it’s sinething like that as opposed to anything further from the wheel.

·
Registered
957 Posts
There are two joints on the steering column one will be connected to the steering rack, hopefully above the carpet and the other half way up the column, hopefully reachable under the plastic column trim.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like it’s beyond my capability. My wife was out in the car earlier and didn’t hear a thing so still very subtle and you almost need to listen for it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts