Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a strong possibility that we will be moving back to the UK. This means I will have to sell my High Up and invest in something RHD. I´ll almost certainly go for another UP as I love the car (although I like the Panda as well) With that in mind, when we went for a visit at Christmas I hired a Move Up with the 60bhp engine to see how it compared. From what I´d read and been told by a VW dealer in the UK there is very little difference between the 60 and 75bhp motor. However, I was a little disappointed with the hire car. When driving my own car at just above 4k rpm I can definitely feel a surge of power (ok, not in the same way as my Honda CB1300!)but, the hire car seemed flat all the way through the rev range and didn´t the same sparkle as my own car. The rental had just under 2k miles on the clock and my own has just over 2k km´s showing so, I would have thought both engines would have freed up to the same extent.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Looks like you have talked yourself into another 75 bhp UP!

A lot of owners might not go over 4000 rpm and wouldn't notice much difference between the 60 & 75 bhp motor !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Derkie54 said:
Looks like you have talked yourself into another 75 bhp UP!

A lot of owners might not go over 4000 rpm and wouldn't notice much difference between the 60 & 75 bhp motor !
Yes, I think you right about the 75bhp. I´d probably miss the heated seats in one of the other models especially in the UK
I´m not sure whether I´d buy new again though as there seem some really good deals on used cars on autotrader.

I can´t speak for other Up! drivers but, I´ve always had bikes so I guess I´m used to using all the rev range to get the most out of an engine. That said, I don´t drive around like a lunatic. I noticed the difference in power more when building up speed on motorway slip roads or overtaking.

·
Registered
851 Posts
beardybob52 said:
There is a strong possibility that we will be moving back to the UK. This means I will have to sell my High Up and invest in something RHD. I´ll almost certainly go for another UP as I love the car (although I like the Panda as well) With that in mind, when we went for a visit at Christmas I hired a Move Up with the 60bhp engine to see how it compared. From what I´d read and been told by a VW dealer in the UK there is very little difference between the 60 and 75bhp motor. However, I was a little disappointed with the hire car. When driving my own car at just above 4k rpm I can definitely feel a surge of power (ok, not in the same way as my Honda CB1300!)but, the hire car seemed flat all the way through the rev range and didn´t the same sparkle as my own car. The rental had just under 2k miles on the clock and my own has just over 2k km´s showing so, I would have thought both engines would have freed up to the same extent.
That's a useful comparison of the 60 and 75 engines. A lot of people have discussed their differences - but i have always felt that the difference has been imagined rather than felt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn´t sure whether I was imagining the difference when I first had the hire car but the more I drove it the more I thought it felt different. When I got to Lisbon on Sunday and drove my own car home I instantly felt that the engine felt livelier than the hire car especially when joining the motorway. Some slip roads in Portugal are ridiculously short and drivers on the motorway rarely change direction or speed to allow other vehicles to join the motorway so, having something with a motor that is responsive and that can accelerate quickly when required can make life a lot easier. There´s probably not much difference between the 60 and 75bhp in reality but the 75 certainly gives me more confidence in this situation.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm running a 60 at the moment and i'm trading up to a 75 at the beginning of March 2014. So i will try to honestly assess whether i think the 75 feels any livelier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts