Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't strictly an up issue, but,
I love driving my up around town, which is the main reason I picked a city car, as my main driving is city/sub 30mph. However I'm a bit scared of slip roads, and as the up isn't known for great acceleration, and local dual carriage way slip roads can be quite short, what's the best way to safely tackle? I'm guessing, 3rd gear till 40ish then 4th? Not been brave enough to try in the 5 months I've had her.

3dr red High Up, 13 plate.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Give it some welly and you will be surprised. The ASG in kick down is quite nippy but a bit scary as the revs go into the red before the gear changes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I normally stay in 3rd until I realise I'm going about 60mph, that helps pick up speed pretty sharpish

·
Registered
296 Posts
Power seems to come on at just above 3000 rpm. Give it welly - and then relax that you are getting 25% better fuel consumption than most and 100% better than Chelsea tractors. Be brave otherwise you make the wee car nervous too!

·
Registered
309 Posts
You've got a High up, acceleration is good!

just keep the revs up, if your not accelerating fast enough drop a gear and foot to the floor!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've never experienced an issue with lack of acceleration, when joining dual carriageway or motorway traffic.

I usually accelerate in 3rd, until I reach 45-50mph, before changing up into higher gears.

In comparison to other vehicles I've owned, which have all had far larger engines, I wouldn't consider the acceleration of 75bhp engine, placed in the High Up, to be laboured either.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
ok guys i'll let you into a little secret??

Dug will do..
in first gear up to 25mph
in second gear up to 40mph

in third gear 60-65mph

in forth up to... well this i were i normally go straight to fifth.
in fifth gear up to.... well usually i obey the 70mph signs
but.........
i have had maximum speed?
the engine usually wakes up around 4000revs
don't be scared have a bit of lead foot when driving your up!

But i will not held responsible for any speeding fine or court fees.

Edited by: gary02tdi

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can only get 40 in second???

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
gary02tdi said:
ok guy i'll let you into a little secret??

Dug will do..
in first gear up to 25mph
in second gear up to 40mph 

in third gear 60-65mph 

in forth up to...  well this i were i normally go straight to fifth.
in fifth gear up to.... well usually i obey the 70mph signs
but.........
i have had maximum speed?
the engine usually wakes up around 4000revs
don't be scared have a bit of lead foot when driving your up!

But i will not held responsible for any speeding fine of court fees.

I'll let you into another. My ASG in kickdown way exceeds those speeds. Mind you the rev counter is in the red before the gear changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am ready to order a highly specced Up!, but....... Has anyone the experience to allow them to properly compare the speed of manual shiftingof an Up!ASG and a smart similarly used in manual mode. I have had 4 smarts because of my partners disability and am quite happy with them, so much so that I have a a super tuned Brabus roadster. But now we want to move on as far as her 4/2 is concerned, but of course none of the "experts" seem to address this simple question. Is the Up! ASG in manual as quick (or slow) as a smart 4/2 in manual?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
As with all these things it depends how experienced or good you are as a driver. If you do want to drive an ASG in manual mode you need rev to maximum in each gear to match the speed in kickdown. Contrary to popular belief driving an automatic requires its own technique and is by no means a lazy mans car. Can't answer your question as I don't know how fast you are able to drive your Smart. Suggest you check the relative manuals to find the optimum acceleration speeds. On paper the Up! is faster than most variants of the Smart 4/2. Edited by: Beevee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts