Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
They are a good idea for occasional use but far safer imho is a set of winter tyres...I'm getting a set of Vredesteine Snowtrac 3 tyres on steel wheels for the winter which a) makes the car much safer and b) means my nice white alloys will be tucked up in a warm garage when the council is chucking salt around.

full set of tyres on steel rims should be around £300 ish, cheaper if you can source a set of rims from someone upgrading .

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, I guess for the frozen arctic tundra in Ayrshire you need a more permanent solution and those VS3's do look decent. I was thinking of rebooting my spoked wheels with them in the winter and buying some new alloys in the spring.To quote Will Smith, 'I got sneaksbut I need a new pair, 'cos basketball courts in the summer got girls there' (or something like that!).

Having said that down here it's more occasional snow where I need to get a mile or so to a road that isn't covered in it so this is a much cheaper option andgood if you get caught out when no one forecasts it as usual!

·
294 Posts
Manacee said:
'I got sneaksbut I need a new pair, 'cos basketball courts in the summer got girls there'

haha, words to live by

I've used these in the past;http://www.autosock.co.uk/- they do the job of getting you up a slope that you might otherwise slip on but you need to take them off as soon as you reach tarmac and then back on for snow again which is a pain! If you've got big hands like me you'll find you scrape your knuckles each time too

·
Registered
51 Posts
Volkswagen sell Snocks as well,go on snocks.com and downloadthe application guide to see which ones you need. I woulnt have thought you would need them on somthing with tiny wheels like the ups though,ive always found my mums Polo and Fabia just plowed through the snow where the Golf on 18's struggled to go.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree with privatedoc. I have a set of Winter tyres (fully built up on steel rims).
Winter tyres are not just for snow! They are recommended for all driving conditions, wet and dry, when the road is colder than PLUS seven degrees (i.e. most of the time from October to the end of March). Summer tyres become like Bakelite at those temperatures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts