Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual indicates that you can only mount snow chains on one specific size oftyres (see below)to avoid that the chain cuts the ESP ... cables (i.e. the tyres must not be too wide)

I was wondering if chains withoutmetallicparts on the side of the tyre can be ok.

Any idea, experience?

Michel

Owners manyual (Citigo):

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">For technical reasons, it is only permissible to fit snow chains with the following

wheel/tyre combinations.

Tyre size Rim

165/70 R14 5J x 14 ET 35

Only fit snow chains with links and locks not larger than 15 mm.

Remove the full wheel trims before installing the snow chains

</blockquote>
Edited by: kurgbe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mulo,

My Up! is a BMT hence the default tyres are175/65 R 14 82T (for efficiency reasons).
<b style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;">
[/b]
<b style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;">I wish Volkswagen made it clear that BMT cars cannot have snow chains, at least with the default tyres![/b]
<b style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; font-weight: normal;">
[/b]
[/b]
[/b]

·
Registered
532 Posts
R15 surely.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ok, I'd not realised that there are even more tyre sizes. Why the BMT has wider tyres, who knows?

·
Registered
113 Posts
ducatikid said:
Ok, I'd not realised that there are even more tyre sizes. Why the BMT has wider tyres, who knows?

Its to improveefficiencyapparently, its an important part of getting the most out of the BMT...

The only non-BMT model we can buy here in Denmark is the ASG..

Edited by: Lee in Denmark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts