Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alreet!!!

So it's 17/1/13 and the news is going crazy on the snow situation, how is it in everyones towns? Here in Horwich/Bolton its rather pathetic haha but is meant to be rather bad tomorrow so going to work in the van and leave little 'ice cube' tucked up in the warm garage!!

How are you all finding your up!s in the snow?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Up fitted with winter tyres some time ago so will be using itas normal. A bit of snow still lying on the chilterns here from a few days back and should get a top-up tomorrow but nothing falling from the sky yet. I have planned a route home from work via the country lanes so hopefully won't come across the usual muppets blocking the main roads and motorway.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I used little tic-tac in the snow this morning and found it much more difficult to control than the Golf. I expect the golf has more traction as its 600kg heavier than my little up and has larger wheels?? dunno. Perhaps the golf just "seems" safer because I am more enclosed and isolated from the outside??.
The little traction control light was flashing away, so I guess that system has now been tested. 8o)

I shall be glad to get it back into the warm garage asap, and will take the golf for any future snow journeys.
Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm really enjoying my heated seats and no snow yet.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have had enough snow to shut the schools while I was at work, getting home now and its just fluff! I really dont no why schools ate shut apart from they are soft!! I like the fact private schools arnt shut

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rednaxela - your up! should be the better car in snow - relatively low power/torque, light weight and front wheel drive should all add up to less slipping and sliding about than the Golf. Yes the Golf is front wheel drive but will not be as good elsewhere and if it's a turbo diesel the traction control would be working overtime.

As you said, you probably feel more isolated from the conditions in the Golf, but it's not a bad thing to be more aware of the road conditions.

I had to go out a couple of times earlier in my High up! in c.3" of snow and was most impressed with how driveable it was. Admittedly the winter tyres help, but they don't change the fundamentals of the car - just allow more margin for error.Edited by: Upmeister

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am used to a big heavy Volvo that used to 'push on' with momentum when turning in the snow, braking with the abs was a juddery experience in all but the lightest of flurries of snow....

So the little up! is a total different feeling, light agile and nimble over the white stuff, it feels really planted and even turning at 90 degrees onto my drive off the road surprised me as I experienced no side ways drift. No correction was needed

I was obviously taking it all at a sensible speed etc, and getting a feel of how it handled in the snow, but I can't say it felt greatly different to just a wet slippery road even through the deep stuff... We shall see what it's like when it all freezes to an ice rink tonight!

And no, I don't have winter tyres, although I thought to myself, as I looked at the snow.... Mmm wished I had bought some winter tyres now!Edited by: Markmod1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts