Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never been one to buy petrol on anything other than price but would consider going for a brand rather than a supermarket product if the performance increase is worth the extra. Anyone able to recommend a branded fuel?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I read somewhere that the UP CPU can't make use of anything above 95RON in the injection/timing/burn process. So Super Unleaded is wasted. I'll dig around to find the reference.

I've put 30,000 miles of Super unleaded in my current whip for the opposite reason. It asks for 98 RON min And sought out either Shell V Power or Tesco Super, because they are the only two in the UK that state 99RON.

remember, we are lucky that standard fuel is 95 RON in the UK, in the US I think most of their Standard fuel is 87 or similar

And it's well known that all fuels of the same RON come from the same big refinery silos, but the branded ones have additives and goodies to stop your injectors clogging up.(and other stuff) Trouble is, you might only see the clog after 50k miles. So you could be paying the problem forward with 40k of Asda fuel....... then sell the car.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've never invested in premium or super fuels, I do go for branded fuel though which is Shell, BP or Esso where I am as I believe (and hope) that they help to keep the engine cleaner.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have generally kept it on 95 but like to use a name.

I was forced to fill up at a Morrisons and got about 10% less in economy that any other brand I have used.

It has had the odd drop of super but not really noticed any difference other than my wallet

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
98 VPower, and pretty much any modern ecu will adjust to the extra octane with the array of sensors they have.

Used that for a long time now unless i can get hold of 95-e10.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yes it’ll take the 98ron fuel but you won’t see any improvement in running or performance so it’s a waste of money.

Not much money....about 10p a litre, enough for a bar of chocolate with your fuel.

You will get more benefit from using the toilet in the filling station, as the reduced weight will give a slight performance increase.

Although it is likely to be offset by the weight of the chocolate bar, if you buy one with the money you save from not filling up with Super Unleaded.

A compromise would be to buy a packet of Quavers which weigh next to nothing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes it’ll take the 98ron fuel but you won’t see any improvement in running or performance so it’s a waste of money.

Not much money....about 10p a litre, enough for a bar of chocolate with your fuel.

You will get more benefit from using the toilet in the filling station, as the reduced weight will give a slight performance increase.

Although it is likely to be offset by the weight of the chocolate bar, if you buy one with the money you save from not filling up with Super Unleaded.

A compromise would be to buy a packet of Quavers which weigh next to nothing.
Very good. Made me chuckle

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Very good. But you do, and it's been proven time and time again. I've done the maths before and you do get more mpg, this car dyno'd at 7bhp over stock on different fuel alone and for the £3 difference twice a month i'll stick with it. Modern ECUs adapt to what the sensors are telling them, especially what's happening with the spark and timing or we might as well be running carbs still (remember those antiquated devices?).
This debate comes up time and time again on forums and the same old stuff gets dragged out time and time again. Just put what you like in your car, as long as it's not diesel your car will be perfectly happy.

And don't forget your chocolate bar (people still eat those?) and be happy. :grin:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I asked the same question on the Facebook group and someone said that the fuel cap says Super Unleaded on the inside. I am hoping that I’ll own the car one day and then I can find out for myself. Then again, by that point humanity may have moved beyond fossil fuels or even rendered itself extinct.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It does say “premium unleaded” on the inside of the fuel filler, which had me wondering initially, but it means 95ron (regular unleaded in the UK) rather than the lower octane fuel available in some countries.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I personally use Asda fuel and then fill up with the premium stuff once a month to hopefully help the engine a bit. The difference between the two in terms of performance and mpg is there, but limited

·
Registered
635 Posts
Without running a stock Up GTI back to back on a dyno with standard 95 and then premium it would be difficult to know what (if any) difference there is. A cleaner engine is a likely benefit.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
I personally use Asda fuel and then fill up with the premium stuff once a month to hopefully help the engine a bit. The difference between the two in terms of performance and mpg is there, but limited
'Premium' Unleaded is just the normal 95RON unleaded on the green pump.

You mean 'Super' Unleaded 97/98RON.

·
Registered
32 Posts
'Premium' Unleaded is just the normal 95RON unleaded on the green pump.

You mean 'Super' Unleaded 97/98RON.
nah i meant what i said, cheers.

i use non supermarket fuel once a month, for their supposed additives and engine benefits. Putting tesco 99 in 1.0 tsi will give benefits, but very limted in my opinion. Its not a 2.5 TFSI

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
nah i meant what i said, cheers.

i use non supermarket fuel once a month, for their supposed additives and engine benefits. Putting tesco 99 in 1.0 tsi will give benefits, but very limted in my opinion. Its not a 2.5 TFSI
Pointless, that's like having one orange juice in between 10 beers, damage is already done.

Better fuel is advantageous to every engine, easier burn equals more power and more mpg.......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pointless, that's like having one orange juice in between 10 beers, damage is already done.

Better fuel is advantageous to every engine, easier burn equals more power and more mpg.......
i have never disagreed that it is better, i just haven't felt a significant difference that you would in a higher powered car

and supermarket fuel isn't going to damage your car, otherwise it wouldn't be for sale. Its just not quite as good

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
i have never disagreed that it is better, i just haven't felt a significant difference that you would in a higher powered car

and supermarket fuel isn't going to damage your car, otherwise it wouldn't be for sale. Its just not quite as good
But using one tank in amongst the other is false economy, might as well just carry on using the supermarket garbage.

If you want to throw some additives through your system just throw a bottle of Redex through it every now and then. Or even better after it's done significant mileage have it Terracleaned, did my old Porsche the world of good.

·
Registered
32 Posts

But using one tank in amongst the other is false economy, might as well just carry on using the supermarket garbage.

If you want to throw some additives through your system just throw a bottle of Redex through it every now and then. Or even better after it's done significant mileage have it Terracleaned, did my old Porsche the world of good.

Right im happy to say i was wrong here (unlike most people on these forums)

I filled up with tesco 99 other day. Can move up gears far earlier than before, it would sit in 6th at just over 30 no problem. Hence made it far more efficient when plodding along. However when booting it seemed slightly less fuel efficient

Did a 0-60 time, hand timed got 8.76. Best i had done before is 8.85. So slight increase, im no racing driver so if you have done quicker fair play to you but it was slightly quicker than the quoted time for the Gti

Lastly i was joining the moterway and had the classic bmw 320d (0-60 7.3?) 5 inches from my rear expecting to fly past. Put in 4th at about 60 and buried it and we where at almost identical acceleration until i decided i would like to keep my licence and lifted off. Was well happy with that

Interesting, i might be a convert to better fuel

1 - 20 of 168 Posts