Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
a 7% price increase for a 1% quicker 0-60 on that specific occasion, just save the few extra quid per fill up.

Easily 7% better on fuel when driving efficiently i found. Around here tesco 99 is probably only 5p more expensive

And you don’t really spend 11.5k on an vw up if your in the market for saving money, i would go back to my trusty 3k citigo

And that 0-60 was a one time thing, ive done it on normal fuel probably 10 times so given human error i bet its more

But hey I've been using supermaket fuel for years

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
This is interesting, a noticeable improvement from using 98ron unleaded.
I will also have to admit that l may have been wrong to say there would be no difference.
I’ll try it in ours and see if it feels any better.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just to put a different spin on this. I was travelling home from a car meet last night and decided to see what the car would average if I drove economically....
So I drove at 60 on the motorway (I refuse to go slower) and then the same on the a13 into London, then at the speed limits while using the gear change indicator.

68.9mpg on VPower.

The thing is here that pretty much any modern car will react to a higher octane fuel in the appropriate way due to the amount of sensors on it. So when it feels the different knock from the fuel it will adjust timing to suit and use that extra octane in the form of a more efficienct burn which should give you more mpg and power.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just to put a different spin on this. I was travelling home from a car meet last night and decided to see what the car would average if I drove economically....
So I drove at 60 on the motorway (I refuse to go slower) and then the same on the a13 into London, then at the speed limits while using the gear change indicator.

68.9mpg on VPower.

The thing is here that pretty much any modern car will react to a higher octane fuel in the appropriate way due to the amount of sensors on it. So when it feels the different knock from the fuel it will adjust timing to suit and use that extra octane in the form of a more efficienct burn which should give you more mpg and power.
That's impressive but doesn't prove anything unless you do the same journey at the same speeds using normal 95RON petrol.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Dealer told me to use Super Unleaded and there’s a vw sticker in my fuel cap advising the same. I got caught short today and had to put in 95 and likewise a couple of weeks ago. Overall, I don’t detect much of a difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Petrol in the UK is not fantastic quality. The petrol in Germany is more refined. The one leatre engine that is in the UP! is built around using this petrol so if you are very concerned about it then I would just use super unleaded, as for the brand it doesn't really matter, the only thing it will really effect is the emissions and a little bit of the performance

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used Super Unleaded in all my recent cars over the past few years.
Have just returned from a week long road trip to the F1 Spa GP. Covered 1305 miles (Devon > Spa and back plus daytripping in Belgium) 70-80 on motorways + some spirited driving on the (mostly) deserted Belgium B roads and managed a solid 61 MPG - it cost us a grand total of £114 in fuel - which I have to say I was pretty impressed with.
A couple of other things worth mentioning are that both me and the wife found the car very comfortable and capable - I know the seats get a lot of stick around these parts for not being very supportive but we did Devon > Spa (and the Spa > Devon return) in a single journey without any discomfort. Also didn't spot any other Up! GTI's whilst away, in fact I've not seen another since we picked ours up in May!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Petrol in the UK is not fantastic quality. The petrol in Germany is more refined. The one leatre engine that is in the UP! is built around using this petrol so if you are very concerned about it then I would just use super unleaded, as for the brand it doesn't really matter, the only thing it will really effect is the emissions and a little bit of the performance
I always thought British petrol was better quality than the continental stuff. They have a habit of mixing their petrol with ethanol which they get from fermenting turnips and grains. It probably wouldn't do any harm but I'd rather use proper petrol in my Up! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re using supermarket fuel, an Autocar journalist driving an Asian small car, less than one litre, had occaisions when the car caused problems that sent him to the dealers who could find no fault. After this happenned a couple of times and he was left sitting on a motorway, the rescue mechanic asked where he bought the fuel. On being learning it was supermarket fuel, he suggested to buy branded and the journalist had no more problems.
Bought my Up GTI yesterday.
It's eager. It likes to get moving.
Top gear is for cruising and economy.
Want to accelerate?
Think, observe and select the correct gear.

·
Banned
645 Posts
At £1.27 a litre, i have always used Tescos Momentum 99 RON unleaded in my GTi.

Even though i cover very low annual mileage, i have always used the costlier fuel, false economy, a waste of money, well over the years none of my cars have given me any mechanical issues.

I asked this question when i was at the reception desk of JBS, after having my car remapped.

Without the JBS remap, they said it was quite ok to use regular 95 RON petrol in the Gti, but from a high quality source, such as Shell.

After my remap, they said the engine would benefit from the use of higher octane 99 fuel, and their suggestion was Shell V power.

The price difference between V Power and Tescos Momentum is significant,so i have continued using Momentum, but using a high quality standard unleaded should do the GTi no harm at all, and anyway, it recommends using standard fuel on the back of the fuel flap.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've got a Clio 182 Cup as my other car had it from brand new and it's 15 years old....

Low mileage just over 50k but all of it on Tesco 99 so I guess supermarket fuel can't be that bad!

The Up GTI has been living on the same from day 1 🤑👍

·
Banned
645 Posts
I asked the woman on the cash desk in my local Tescos last week, how many customers she gets on a daily basis, for their Momentum fuel.
She had to think for a few moments, but she said not many customers use it, maybe on price, or simply not realising the benefits of a higher octane fuel.

I know i do not visit the garage that often, but i see very few people using Momentum, even when they drive far more powerful cars than my Up, and really should be using higher octane fuel.
I suppose its all down to ones annual mileage, and weekly or monthly fuel bill.

For just about every driver, petrol is just petrol, and they buy it on price and not whether their car needs a higher octane fuel or not

If petrol is a few pence cheaper per litre, most customers will go on price every time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've only ever run the Up on Tesco 99 too.

Coming from a V8 Audi previously I could probably run the Up on liquid gold and it would still be cheaper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My old 2.6 Gsi Vectra would never run right on 95, to the point where I'd even get a bank 1 misfire when cold occasionally (i had it from 2 years and 12k miles on the clock).

Vauxhall did take a look at it under warranty, claimed that i was imagining it. But it was hesitant to the point passengers would comment if I was unable to find a garage with "super" and filled up with council petrol.

I never did get to the bottom of it, but she ran lovely on the rollers.
Fast forward to now.

For the small amount of fuel this car uses, the extra cost is nearly nothing over the year to use something like Vpower.
The extra protection and cleaning properties, combined with the convenience of the Shell Go App, the rewards etc.
I don't think I'll bother using anything else in the Gti.

As a long term ownership prospect I'd like to look after it with the best fuels, oils and consumables.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here's an interesting thought experiement.

You do 10,000 miles a year in your Up GTi
It averages 45mpg over these miles, or a total of 222 gallons (1000 litres)
The price differential between Shell 99 RON and ASDA 95RON (most expensive and cheapest respectively) is 8pence/litre.
This is £80/yr

You keep the car for 3 years.

Would you have paid (3x£80) £240 more for the car on its list price to go a bit faster?

£13,750 or £13,990 at purchase, before options ??

None of us would have complained about 13,990 vs 13,750, so what would you feel about Super Unleaded?

More complicated:
45mpg with 95RON, but 99RON gets you 48mpg. 8pence/litre difference is completely made up for in mpg difference. £1,268.72 vs £1,268.62 using £1.21 and £1.29/litre

·
Registered
158 Posts
It does specify on page 159 of the owners manual,The vehicle may be filled with petrol that has a higher RON than the engine requires.However,this does not provide any advantage in terms of fuel consumption or engine output.
So I stick to 95 RON fuel.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts