Up Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

Registered
I think it's peanuts and like I've said after 15 years of using the Tesco 99 in my other car and it still running as new I'm inclined to stick with it 馃槑

Registered
I see in the past week lots of old threads are resurfacing by new members.

My opinion of 30+ plus years driving, unless your keeping your car 30+ years which all you new owners will swear you will but wont:

Don't bother with fancy fuel as you will never have your car long enough to see any of the alleged benefits, my cars in the 80s happily ran on 2 ** sludge let alone supermarket fuel that some think is satanic.

Don't bother with any paintwork/bodywork protection as you will never have your car long enough to see any of the alleged benefits in decades to come.

Don't bother driving around in ugly winter wheels to apparently save your nice stock alloys as you will never have your car long enough to see any of the alleged benefits, I drive 15k per year in Glasgow with bomb cratered roads full of salt and my alloys look as good as the day I got my car and that's after two winters.

Registered
I am of an age to well remember the 'Formula Shell' fiasco. Put me off any 'special' fuel supplier additives for ever. I have always used the cheapest fuel, ie. supermarket fuel, both petrol and diesel, in all my years of driving, some 40 odd years. I have lost count of the number of cars I have owned, and never once had a fuel related issue with any of them. Loads of other problems with some of them, most memorable being my Fiat years, wife threatened to leave me if I ever bought another Fiat! Actually did, but bought the exact same model in same colour and she never noticed until I confessed some months later. Haha.
Anyway, I really don't see the point in wasting money on these more expensive fuels, but each to their own. But, as my Mokka diesel is now seven years old, bought new and still has the Vauxhall lifetime warranty and plan to keep until it dies, I have started to add a combined cetane booster and injector cleaner just to see if it helps, I only do about 5,000 miles a year and thought why not try it as it is relatively inexpensive to add a few millilitres each time I add some diesel to the car.

Registered
Try Millers EcoMax for a very efficient cetane booster and injector cleaner combined.
They make it for both petrol and diesel engines, and its difficult to explain in driving terms, but its like rocket fuel.
I can remember first using the stuff in my Smart CDi, which at the time was only run on Shell V Power.
There was a really noticeable power increase, and increased throttle response.

Millers EcoMax give it a go.

Registered
I am of an age to well remember the 'Formula Shell' fiasco. Put me off any 'special' fuel supplier additives for ever. I have always used the cheapest fuel, ie. supermarket fuel, both petrol and diesel, in all my years of driving, some 40 odd years. I have lost count of the number of cars I have owned, and never once had a fuel related issue with any of them. Loads of other problems with some of them, most memorable being my Fiat years, wife threatened to leave me if I ever bought another Fiat! Actually did, but bought the exact same model in same colour and she never noticed until I confessed some months later. Haha.
Anyway, I really don't see the point in wasting money on these more expensive fuels, but each to their own. But, as my Mokka diesel is now seven years old, bought new and still has the Vauxhall lifetime warranty and plan to keep until it dies, I have started to add a combined cetane booster and injector cleaner just to see if it helps, I only do about 5,000 miles a year and thought why not try it as it is relatively inexpensive to add a few millilitres each time I add some diesel to the car.
Wish mine would let me know what would get rid !!

Registered
A splash of V Power or Momentum now and again, will certainly do the car no harm.
Momentum is now 拢1.25 a litre here in North Wales, so is decent value.

Registered
Shell for me, but happy with standard 95 RON for the TSi, which, being Shell has most of the good stuff..........and its just a better experience
Pick your moments though, couple of days ago on the M3 services SHELL @ 拢147.6 per ltr !!!!!, little choice as I had the low fuel warning light on, stuck a tenner in and limped to Watford and filled up there at SHELL 拢121.9 (25.7p per ltr cheaper) :oops:

Registered
I would like to use She'll V Power, but the current 18p a tire difference over Momentum is simply ridiculous.
I wish I knew the kind of additives that Shell use in their fuel, so that I could make a valued judgement on whether to go back to using it, but a 18p difference is huge, even for someone who does so few annual miles.

When I owned my A1, I only used V Power, and then, it was only 拢1.31 a litre, but it's 拢1.43 a litre now, compared to Momentum at 拢1.25.

Still their both good fuels, but 18p that's a big margin

Registered
Shell has most of the good stuff..........and its just a better experience
Not sure what you mean. All fuel that leaves any given refinery is the same. 95 RON fuel is the same wherever you buy it. Yes, Shell, Esso, BP, et al. add additives, but without these additives all basic fuel is the same.

Registered
I would like to use She'll V Power, but the current 18p a tire difference over Momentum is simply ridiculous.
I wish I knew the kind of additives that Shell use in their fuel, so that I could make a valued judgement on whether to go back to using it, but a 18p difference is huge, even for someone who does so few annual miles.

When I owned my A1, I only used V Power, and then, it was only 拢1.31 a litre, but it's 拢1.43 a litre now, compared to Momentum at 拢1.25.

Still their both good fuels, but 18p that's a big margin
As your only doing around 2k miles a year and regularly see 80 mpg I鈥檓 sure you could stretch to some V power without damaging the wallet lol!

Registered
Interesting video from the U.S about petrol .
Warning this guy is an OCD detailer so his other video might not be suitable for some on here Lol

Registered
5000 miles a year, I am running two UPs, the Move Up is my regular car, and the Gti is used sparingly.

I managed my 70+ mpg using Momentum, but in the past, found Shell V Power gave noticeable engine response, and smoothness.

I might be imagining that, but mixed with Millers EcoMax, the Shell was like rocket fuel.

Might experiment with it for a few months, just to see if it's better than Momentum, but 拢1.43 a litre, costly stuff.

Registered
35 x 18p = 拢6.30 or less than lunch normally, not going to break the bank is it when you afford to have 80 cars on the drive.

To me putting in good fuel is a no-brainer along with GOOD oil and GOOD coolant being as they are the lifeblood of your car. There's no point putting a bit in every now and then, won't make a difference as you'll be mixing it with other fuel. To see the difference you're going to have to constantly run it for a while.

Registered
I am regularly returning well over 60mpg from both my Ups, and averaged 67.4mpg from the Gti yesterday afternoon, in rubbish weather.
I always use a small amount of Redex with the Momentum, but there's an awful lot of hype over Shell V Power, its good fuel no doubt, but its pricey.

Even though it does not conform to VWs oil specification, i am using Mobil 1 0W40 in the Gti, in its first service next month.
Its the wrong viscosity, but its my favourite oil, ive used it for many years, with no ill effects, and its one of the best fully synthetics on the market.

Registered
Even though it does not conform to VWs oil specification, i am using Mobil 1 0W40 in the Gti, in its first service next month.
Its the wrong viscosity, but its my favourite oil, ive used it for many years, with no ill effects, and its one of the best fully synthetics on the market.
And then the next thread after the service will be titled: "car seized due to wrong oil, VW won't cover on warranty"

That right there in that one post is why YOU should never ever give anyone advice on servicing/maintaining their car, between this and the tyre fitter debacle i'm staggered. You've got to be clinically insane to put the wrong spec oil in a brand new car, especially after being tuned. You don't need Redex either with modern fuels as all the cleaning additives and octane boosters are already in the momentum fuel, even more so with V-Power. And all this in an engine range which is known to clog it's valves with carbon.

Just run good fuel bought from a busy garage (not some backwoods hovel because it's 5p cheaper), change the oil/filter for proper spec on a regular basis and every now and then use the revs available. That's all you need to do.

Registered
Beat me to it - again.........;)

41 - 60 of 90 Posts