Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Greece!!

We don't have a greek forum here so i joined yours!!Excellent work here...i enjoyed the modifications' section!!!!

I bought mine little Up! last week. It was the test drive car, its 8 months old with about 5000 miles on the clock and its in a new condition...

However i am facing some problems both minor and major and i am asking for any suggestions before taking the car to the garage...

1. Almost everytime i am passing through potholes (deeps or not)i hear a metal squeaking from the rear, both sides. I cant figure out where it comes from. I ve check everything under the car but found nothing. I must also add that there were 2-3 days that the axle hasnt squeak at all. (At that days the temperature was a bit lower but i dont know if this relates somehow with the problem). This sound reminds me of a vauxhall astra i owned and had a similar problem and the source was the absorbers and the pads of the rear axle.

2. When the steering wheel is in straight position the car pulls left...I believe that this is minor and it will only need an alignment. (i have faced the same with the other car i have and it was fixed with alignment...)

3. Yesterday and also today i noticed something weird with the speedo's lighting. When the car's lights are off, the light of the speedo is also off and when you turn on the lights the light of the speedo turns on....But mine doesnt act like that...The lights turned off, suddenly the speedo gets lighed and then the light goes gradually off, as if someone dimms it...and than on again...The intervals bettween these fainomenon arent fixed. I tried to connect this with speed-acceleration, or the day's light (ie when theres a lot sun, or when passing under a bridge) but i found no correlation...This happens only during the day.. i tested a bit last night (its dangerous with the ligths off...)with the lighst off and didnt happen

4. The radio's aux in doesn't work well....i connected my mp3 an i heard the sound only from the right speaker...i checked the balance and it was ok...if i choose only the left speaker i barerly hear the music even with volume at max...

5. The radio receives poor signal....

Thank you in advance and sorry for the lengthy post!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
an update for No.3...
just got back from work and test it with safety as its rainning and its getting dark.
It seems that there is no pattern related with acceleration or braking....When i started tha car the light was off and when i started moving it turned on and started the dimming. When i parked the car with the engine on i observed that when the light was of and i opened the drivers door tha light immediatellu turned on for about 10-15 secs and then started dimming off.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome!

The dashboard light is controlled by a light sensor, and will dim automatically depending on the amount of light in the car.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Y-Mii said:
Welcome!

The dashboard light is controlled by a light sensor, and will dim automatically depending on the amount of light in the car.
does anybody know where is the sensor placed?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, I saw a picture somewhere online, can't find it now. It was to the bottom right of the main speedometer dial. You can only see it if you aim a flashlight on it directly, and it looks like a vague red circle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y-Mii said:
Welcome!The dashboard light is controlled by a light sensor, and will dim automatically depending on the amount of light in the car.

Maybe this sensor doesnt work because last night i tested again and the light was all the time off although it was dark....Is there any chance this sensor or anything else is affected by electromagnetic fields??I noticed today that this starts only when i pass near a radar located to the airport...and continues as long as i drive in the town...When i leave the town and go to my home (suburban area) this stops.......

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Regards to your light on the speedo, the sensor it there for a reason!
Reason is the it is a reminder to switch your lights on when it get dark, I've seen many other car where the instraments are lit all the time and when it get dark people forget to switch their lights on.

Go old volkswagen does something that no one else thought about!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gary02tdi said:
Reason is the it is a reminder to switch your lights on when it get dark
 The point is that even when its dark and the lights swithed OFF, the speedo light is OFF . My problem happens during the daylight!!!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
For number 4, sounds silly, but check the cable, check its properly pushed in both ends, as a loose connection would do just what you're describing! Failing that, try that cable elsewhere to see if it works, or just try a new cable?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Davec86 said:
For number 4, sounds silly, but check the cable, check its properly pushed in both ends, as a loose connection would do just what you're describing! Failing that, try that cable elsewhere to see if it works, or just try a new cable?

tried both.....!!nothing...

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
mpoulikatsos said:
gary02tdi said:
Reason is the it is a reminder to switch your lights on when it get dark

The point is that even when its dark and the lights swithed OFF, the speedo light is OFF . My problem happens during the daylight!!!
It's nothing to worry about!
The car just thinks its dark and you need to switch your lights on!
It's in the manual!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Test the light by shining a light on the speedo in the dark with the lights off. The lights should get brighter, and then dim when you remove the light.
I expect you have a faulty sensor, and would take it back. A loan car up I had, had a faulty light in the left turn signal, so problems do exist on the pcbs now and then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rednaxela said:
Test the light by shining a light on the speedo in the dark with the lights off. The lights should get brighter, and then dim when you remove the light.
you were absolutely right!!!it works like this!! thanx!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cool... I'll have to try that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts