Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with so much time on our hands I thought I'd treat my pride and joy to a clay bar and a polish, thought I would share....

I already had the products before anyone starts a winge about me going out for them ?

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great job. I might have to get round to some detailing when I run out of wood for my carpentry projects. Funny the things you get back into with a bit of time or your hands. I have even been out cycling a few times and I am loving these roads with no traffic on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know what you mean, I only done it coz I was bored of walking and had all the stuff already lol, was done in the shade Mike (y)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Took the winter steels off today, cleaned and re-fitted the summer original alloys. Don't think the original alloys had ever been cleaned on the inside. Nobody can see it but I feel better knowing its done. tomorrow, as soon as the car is in the shade. Full wash, polish and ceramic application plus anti UV coating on the headlamps..................busy busy ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is something very satisfying about finishing those sort of jobs share some pics when done, would love to see it

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have finally run out of wood for my carpentry projects after having built a small chicken house, a table for the pizza oven, a log store and a garden storage crate.

So after being locked down for another 3 weeks it is now time to move on to detailing.

Our Mii was looking like it had been left out in the desert after 4 weeks of not being driven and no rain failing, so it was time for a bath.

This is the first white car we have had and the wings, doors, hatch and bumper were covered in a large number of black tar spots and fall out marks after washing.

What products are best to remove these? I tried some old tar remover but I think it was past it. I then tried some meguirs fine cutting compound, a polishing pad and some elbow grease. That got the job done and now the car is ready for polishing and sealing tomorrow.

I still have another 3 family members cars to do in the weeks ahead. Would a clay bar make things any easier? Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Autosmart Tardis is one of the best for removing tar spots. You could clay it. Im claying mine for the same reason that you are because I have the time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Finished my son's Mii. Polishing and sealing done and now it looks great. Trying not to get sucked into the OCD detailing rabbit hole. I am 95% happy but I refuse to remove the wheels to clean the barrels.

Thanks for the tips. Ordered a Bilt Hamber clay bar on Amazon that arrives today. Any good tips for claying?

One down, three to go. Next up is my Passat which is in good nick. Then the wife's Mazda 2 which looks like it has been tailgating a gritter for 50k miles.

Last will be my Dad's Kia Sportage which won't be getting much love as it's like a skip inside and well scratched and dented on the outside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your right it is a rabbit hole and one you dont want to get sucked into. You have some clay lube? (sounds kinky) Quick detailer will work. Watch a couple of you tube videos and you will be fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I must own up to cleaning the inside of the wheels ?‍♂
But, in my defence, I was taking of the steel wheels and winter tyres, so took the opportunity to clean the standard alloys before refitting...............

·
Registered
141 Posts
My lockdown detailing continues.....

Finished my dad's Kia Sportage and he's well chuffed with the results. Managed to polish out 90% of the scratches followed by a coat of sealant and a full interior valet.

Started on the wife's Mazda 2. Washed it and broke out the Bilt Hamber clay bar. First time I have ever used one and I had a mixed experience. Watched a few YouTube videos before I started.

First thing was I found the clay very hard and almost impossible to knead. Soaked it in some hot water and it became more pliable.

BH uses water as a lube so used warm tap water in a spray bottle. Started on the roof in quarters and worked my way down the car doing the sills last. I had to soak the clay in warm water every time I needed to reknead it. Is this usual?

Positives; paintwork is very clean and smooth now especially noticeable on the sills and door bottoms. All tar spots came off easily.

Negatives; clay bar very difficult to knead, I have added a few fine scratches (or revealed old ones) and removed the paint from a few stone chips.

I was expecting the clay to be softer and easier to use. It was about 8-10 degrees outside and at first I thought I had a dodgy clay bar.

The only real advice I can offer is leave the dirtiest areas until last (bottom of doors, sills and wheel arches behind the wheels) to keep the clay cleaner longer.

In the morning I will wash it again then polish and seal it. Mazda paintwork is very thin and it really could do with a front end respray. Looks a lot worse than a 4yr old car that's done 50k.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My lockdown detailing continues.....

First thing was I found the clay very hard and almost impossible to knead. Soaked it in some hot water and it became more pliable.

BH uses water as a lube so used warm tap water in a spray bottle. Started on the roof in quarters and worked my way down the car doing the sills last. I had to soak the clay in warm water every time I needed to reknead it. Is this usual?
Hmm, didnt have that experience with my BH clay bars when using them Found them pretty easy to fold etc but I only bought them years ago so may have changed I guess...

I would defo try another one as they were always one of the best as you can use them just with water.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It was the regular BH clay bar. In hindsight maybe a should have gone for medium or even soft. As a repeated autoexpress best product winner I was expecting it to be easier to use. That said after trawling thru reviews on Amazon there are quite a few others who found it too hard.

I took a different tack on my Passat after doing a bit of research and used white spirit to remove all the tar spots instead of a clay bar. I put a small amount on an old microfibre cloth and it made short work of the job. Did it one panel at a time and washed it off straight away.

What do most people use to remove wax/sealant prior to detailing? Body shop panel wipes? Isopropyl alcohol?

·
Registered
22 Posts
using white spirit means that those parts not wont have sealant/wax. The simplest way to remove wax and most sealants is using washing up liquid and washing it with that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Gave mine a good going over yesterday and it comes up a treat .
Today I removed the rear light clusters and cleaned behind them as you’d be surprised how much dirt hides behind them .
A501F217-D5CF-4B95-B095-0A0107393654.jpeg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts