Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone with a sunroof find it hard to read their MAPS ?<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Looking at the VW configurator for the UP you can order leather ( look ) seats. Are these a soft type plastic which make you sweat on hot days .

What is the best thing you like about the UP

What's the worst thing you like about the UP

Any over 40's living in the country ? Can I ask what you pay fully comprhensive

Me and the wife will defently order one towards the end of the year for a spring delivery. To be honest I'm sick of high motoring costs, the UP looks a great finnacial prposition of ownership.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm well over 40 living in the country and I'm paying about £200 for insurance despite adding a named driver with claims on her record. I could have paid less but went with a company that offered new car replacement in case of a write off. There are too many best things about the up to list them all. It is a small, cheap, economical car that manages to be stylish, comfortable and a real pleasure to drive. If you buy one I recommend getting the sound pack and if I was ordering again I'd add the sensor pack. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have the sunroof and the M&M and have no worries.

I have the leatherette seats and I dont find that I sweat anymore than usual. But then again I'm a dainty little laydee (NOT!) And yes they are a soft fake leather, not sure I would call them plastic, but they are some sort of plastic obviously.

55+ miles per gallon is a definite plus (thats with a 75 engine)

I'm over forty and live in the countryside (ish), in a little village about 3 miles away from a town.
I havent had a full years insurance yet (as I was mid policy) but I think it will be between £200 and £250 pa, so another plus

Downsides are only minor, things like no arm nor foot rest, no electric wing mirrors, no way for the driver to open the passenger window from their side, no string on the boot cover, so if you forget to put it down before shutting the boot and drive off, it stays up.

As I say, minor niggles, lots and lots of great things on the plus side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Best thing for me is the economy - I'm getting mid 60's on a daily basis!

Worst - that I didn't order a model or pack with heated mirrors, already annoying me on the milder mornings

I went for a move up! With BMT, M&M and speaker pack and with the exception of above find it a great little car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Best - a hoot to drive. No feeling of impoverishment by driving a cheap car (High up!).

Worst - rain/dew that has settled on the car pouring into the cabin if you have the window open and then drive off.

Economy - no where near 60/70 mpg. We are not hooligans but drive reasonably quick and get mid to high 40's. I am convinced that your mind must be in total economy driving thought mode whilst driving to get these high figures! If you are using the shift indicator you are probably a PITA to following drivers!

Insurance fully comp max NCB for 49/56 year old is £168

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wayman said:
Best thing for me is the economy - I'm getting mid 60's on a daily basis!

Worst - that I didn't order a model or pack with heated mirrors, already annoying me on the milder mornings

I went for a move up! With BMT, M&M and speaker pack and with the exception of above find it a great little car.
I'm buying mine as a station car so it will do a small mileage. Nevertheless I do wonder if I missed a trick by not specifying the sensor pack. Oh well - too late now.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
48, live rurally, sub £200 fully comp, mid 60's mpg......Bloody Brilliant car....only thing I'd change.....err Nothing except a DAB radio would be nice!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sunroof has no effect on the M&M because it's tinted and it has a screen blind. It's a nippy little thing. Ignoreing the blue trainer is a more fun driving experience and I'm still getting mid 50's mpg.

The clutch change is a little loud perhaps but only really noticeable if you have no music on and the fans off. I'm assured by the chief tech at the dealers, who went on a drive with me, that the noise is normal on the Up. It's because the gear casing is thinner than normal to keep weight down.

It's a comfortable ride, even with the sports pack. I've got all the packs apart from the laser sensor. All are worth it.

The insurance for me is 170. Fully comp business class and my parents are on it as well.

It's a great little car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Positives are MPG, road handling, can do central locking with good old fashoined spare key which takes up less space in suit pocket at work,and how quite it is
Negatives lack of passenger opening electric window, entry to rear seats a little fiddly.

Maybe, just maybe the best VW I have owned since my 16. GTi Mk1 and 1.8 Mk 2 GTi's. That is some praise!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Positive things:the economy and the feeling tha you drive a bigger car.
Negative things: Îhe one switch for the electric windows in each door.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I got the Up! White with all the trimmings and am very pleased with it. My only headache so far is leaving the boot lid/parcel shelf up before driving off. This then merits a stop as you need to see through the rear view mirror. Another little niggle is that my arms are not long enough to reach right across to the center of the roof when washing the car. (This thoughprovesthat the car is very roomy inside as well). It may look small but it does have lots of space inside.

I've not done a check on the MPG yet as I like to leave that about six months. Then I add together all the litres of fuel bought and the mileage done and get a more sensible figure, but I have noticed that I do not have to fill up as often as I used to.

You can check what gadgets you get with the car from the VW Up! internet site. It all depends on which model you choose of course.

·
Registered
604 Posts
best car I have driven,MPGbrilliant 64 - 74mpg,
£0 Road tax (BMT),
Lower Insurance,
road holdsuperb,
styling second to none.
and Its a manual so the wife wont drive it

bit I don't like not so much:
I can live with passengers window switch because my arms reach the other side of the car or I can put the air con onif I'm hot.
Seats not all that bad I knowroughly where I like it and that dose me.
Parcel shelf yeah that is a bit naff
Wheel arch inserts not much I can do about thatnoisy in the rain andhorriblewhen driving an gravel roads

·
Registered
62 Posts
As far as the parcel shelf problem goes, the solution may lie in a DIY job similar to the Toyota Aygo. Aygo's parcel shelf is tied to the rear glass door near the hinge with a length of string so that every time you lift open the rear door the parcel shelf hinges upwards/opens up and on shutting the rear window the parcel shelf falls back due to its own weight. It is very simple really. Just go and have a look at the Aygo in toyota's show room. In the case of VW Up you may be forced to use a length of good old curtain spring (remember those spiral tightly wound long spring used for threading your curtain in the days before fancy curtain hangings!). You will have to find a way to attach one end of the spring to the rear door glass and the other to the rear edge of the parcel shelf. The spring would press down on the shelf and shut it (if the gravity does not work for VW Up's parcel shelf).

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Update on my insurance, 44, 9 years NCB protected, spouse as additional driver, £200 compulsory excess = £159

1 - 17 of 17 Posts