Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Touareg R Line 262
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, wondering if anybody can help.

Other half bought a 65 plate Up! recently and, upon investigation, I've discovered something plugged into the OBD port.

It's not a VW data plug, it's a black plug with a black ribbon cable coming out of it and the cable goes up behind the dash. Tried to pull the plug out but it's held in with a cable tie!

Pretty certain this isn't something that needs to be there.

Anybody else have this on their Up! Any ideas what it is?

Something is slowly draining the car battery, could be this that's causing it.

Car has a VW warranty so not a concern, would just like to know what it is. Trip to the dealer is always an option of course.

Cheers

·
Registered
915 Posts
It should not be draining battery, as I think the OBD port is not powered unless the ignition is on.

As a curious engineering nerd, I'd want to trace where it goes to, and for what purpose, but I'd just unplug it.
It may be some hack to try to change ECU maps or similar, but ugly nevertheless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it probably isn't the cause of the drain but would like to know what it is.

Can't see where cable goes to, don't want to start pulling the dash to bits!

The cable tie is making me think bad things might happen if removed lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
It shouldn't be there! Obviously, not noticed by VW before they sold you the car, so I would get them to check it out.

A lot of devices left in OBD ports are either bluetooth fault scanners or rely live date to a mobile phone.

A wired connector leading to the engine bay sounds like some dodgy mod or ECU hack. Well spotted, now get VW to sort it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, time to get the car back to the dealer.

Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped the car off at the dealers today and, after several hours, got a call to say that it was an insurance related device and would do no harm if left in place. We were asked to come and collect the car but told them we would collect the car once they confirmed that the device had been removed.

Sadly this is typical of the level of service I'm used to from VW dealers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You ain’t on your own I took a Vw Scirocco to Stourbridge Vw after I had done a full Detail on the car, for creaking Shocks (known fault) to be told they couldn’t hear the noise so we smeared tons of grease over the freshly cleaned door hinges etc . I was F&&king Fuming.
Wouldn’t trust some of these dealers with a skateboard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car collected today, device removed, happy ending.

You have to wonder why this wasn't picked up during the PDI and removed at that point. Supplied checklist shows that a diagnostic scan was done, think that's ulikely to have happened!

Will scan the car later and the dealer will have another issue to resolve if there are fault codes 😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts